UConn eliminates some commuter parking spaces to make room for Area 2 spots

A removed Commuter Permit Sign at Horsebarn Hill. (Marlese Lessing/The Daily Campus)

Several commuter parking lots have been converted into Area 2 staff and faculty parking, effective for the 2018/19 school year. In late May 2018, University of Connecticut graduate assistants and teachers assistants gained access to Area 2 parking in their new contract, according to UConn spokesperson Stephanie Reitz.

“Before (the change in their contract), they received student permits and parked in student lots,” Reitz said.

This change resulted in former graduate assistant and teachers assistant parking areas to be converted to Area 2 parking, according to Reitz. This change can also be seen in the 2018 Storrs campus parking map.

Lot Y, a former employee and commuter lot, is now for employees only.  90 commuter student spaces were converted to Area 2 parking in the lot by the Bishop Center. Half of the commuter spots lining Horsebarn Hill have been converted to Area 2 as well.

Vehicles with Area 2 parking privileges cannot park in student parking during the academic year, Reitz said.

“The conversion from student parking to employee parking in the specific locations… change because many of the graduate students represented by the union contract will be parking in greater numbers in Area 2 locations instead of student lots,” Reitz said.

In addition, overnight parking is no longer permitted in C Lot, limiting overnight options to the parking garages. Lot J is now resident-only, as well as part of W Lot. Parts of T Lot have been made commuter-only, according to the new map.

S Lot is still undergoing construction, limiting the number of Area 2 spaces available.

All of B Lot is now 24/7 Area 2 only, removing the ability to park there between the hours of 5 p.m. and 7 a.m., and on weekends.

Parking Services did not respond to further inquiries.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.