Pardon my French, but Bistro on Union Street is très magnifique

The Bistro Union Street is new at UConn. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

If you have a meal plan, you know that being able to use points instead of real money is a life saver. Bistro on Union Street is a new french-inspired restaurant in the Student Union that accepts points after 1 p.m. and has replaced Chuck and Augie’s (RIP). As someone who has never eaten French food before I was a little intimidated, but quickly learned that the menu still features American items such as wings and burgers. There is a variety of more-authentic French food on the menu, such as crepes and moules (mussels).

Just like its predecessor, Bistro is open from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. and accepts cash, credit cards or points. You can dine in or order take-out. The menu features a variety of appetizer, soups, salads, sandwiches, entrees and desserts. There are build-your-own options (also just like its predecessor) with pasta and burgers. The menu also features an entire page of gluten-friendly options, as well and vegan and vegetarian options.

As an appetizer, I ordered ailes de poulet (boneless chicken wings) with buffalo sauce.You can choose between buffalo, barbeque and honey dijon sauce. The wings were pretty delicious, and pretty un-French. For my main course I tried the bloc de boucher, which was a grilled strip loin with a side of green beans and french fries. The steak was perfectly cooked to my liking and seasoned very well. The sides were delicious as well. To try something more French I had a few bites of the pâté de canard, which is a orecchiette pasta dish with pulled duck, wild mushrooms and green beans in a thyme cream sauce. I had never tried duck before and I wasn’t the biggest fan, but the pasta and veggies were really delicious and paired really nicely with the cream sauce.

I found myself most impressed with the dessert selection. This was the most French section of the menu, offering treats such as crepes, beignets and mousse au chocolat. I tried the beignets, which are French donuts coated in cinnamon-sugar. They were huge, warm and delicious. I definitely want to return to Bistro to try the crepes, which are filled with strawberries and chocolate and topped with whipped cream.

Bistro on Union Street has a little bit of everything. If you’re in the mood for French food it isn’t very authentic but it does offer many recipes that have a French twist. If you’re not in the mood for French food there are still many options on the menu that will leave you satisfied. Don’t be intimidated by the French names, many of the meals are typical American dishes that are just listed by the French translation.

Instead of thinking of Bistro as a replacement of Chuck and Augie’s, think of it as an upgrade. There are still all of the same foods you love, some are just slightly upgraded and more French. There’s something for everyone, and there are definitely many options that’ll make you say “ooh la la!”

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.