Melissa’s Menu: Honey-Mustard chicken meal prep

This week’s recipe is a honey-mustard chicken meal prep complete with potatoes and veggies. It’s healthy, delicious and will save you a lot of time. (screenshot/tasty.co)

If you don’t have a meal plan and are currently struggling to cook three meals a day for yourself, look no further: this week’s Melissa’s Menu has got you covered. Meal prepping is a fantastic way to save yourself the stress of cooking and allows you to bring your meals on-the-go. This week’s recipe is a honey-mustard chicken meal prep complete with potatoes and veggies. It’s healthy, delicious and will save you a lot of time.

Ingredients (for four servings)

1 cup of diced sweet potato
1 cup of diced red potato
1 cup of chopped red onion
1 cup of quartered brussel sprout
1 cup of chopped green beans
1 cup of chopped carrot
olive oil, to taste
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
½ tablespoon of dried thyme
1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, chopped
¼ cup of dijon mustard
¼ cup of honey
3 cloves of minced garlic
4 chicken thighs

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the sweet potato, red potato, red onion, brussel sprouts, green beans and carrots on the baking sheet in separate piles. Drizzle everything with olive oil, then sprinkle with salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary. Rub the seasoning into the vegetables until evenly coated and spread flat on the baking sheet, keeping the vegetables separate. Set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the mustard, honey, garlic, salt and pepper; whisk until smooth. Set aside. Place the chicken thighs skin-side down in a greased cast-iron skillet or pan. Season with salt and pepper, then brush generously with the honey-mustard sauce. Flip the chicken thighs over and repeat, seasoning with salt and pepper and then brushing with the rest of the honey-mustard sauce. Place the vegetables and the chicken in the oven on separate racks. Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. If you would like extra crispy chicken, remove the vegetables once cooked and broil the chicken for an extra one or two minutes, or until the skin crisps up. Let everything cool, then distribute into resealable containers, mixing up the combination of vegetables so that you get something a little different each day. Cover and refrigerate for up to four days.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.