‘An Evening with Angela’ keeps audience laughing start to finish

The Student Union Board of Governors (SUBOG) Comedy Committee kicked off the fall semester with its first event; “The Office: An Evening with Angela.” Inside Jorgensen, excitement and positive vibes filled the room. You couldn’t even tell that outside it was just another dreary Thursday night and it only got better when Angela Kinsey came onstage.

Kinsey is most well known for her role as Angela Martin in NBC’s “The Office” who she described as “judgey and a bit of a b*tch.”

Kasey Macedo, a fifth-semester psychology and human development and family studies double major, was surprised by and really enjoyed Kinsey’s personality and how it contrasted with her character. “I was really surprised by her because she’s the complete opposite of Angela,” Macedo said. “She was so happy and exciting.”

But much like the other characters in “The Office,” playing Angela wasn’t that simple, Kinsey explained.

“I feel like our show was so great at showing that people have a lot of layers to them and that’s what I was trying to do when I played Angela Martin. Yes, her core is the b*tch but there’s layers to that, Kinsey said. “Sometimes I’m a suspicious b*tch, sometimes I’m a plotting b*tch, sometimes I’m a sad b*tch. There’s layers to a b*tch,” Kinsey concluded to a round of laughter and applause.

Whether you’re a fan or not, you can’t help but appreciate “The Office” as a staple of our generation. “‘The Office’ is the ‘Friends’ of our generation,” Kopcik, SUBOG Comedy Chairman, said.

With its unique humor and heartfelt moments that were spoiled for non-devotees long ago, people keep coming back to the series for laughs and relatable moments.

Julia Kendzierski, a seventh-semester environmental science major, loves “The Office” for it’s familiarity. “Like Angela said it’s just so familiar in a way. I think everyone can find something in it to relate to that will just stick with them and provide them comfort. Sometimes life is just so much that it’s nice to just turn on Netflix and just escape for awhile,” Kendzierski said.

Before Kinsey could launch into one of her hilarious or heartwarming stories, all she had to say was the episode title and the audience started laughing. The fact that fans can recognize iconic moments just by saying episode titles like “Yankee Swap” or “Diversity Day” is impressive and shows just how much people love the show.

The event was structured as a Q&A between Kinsey and the SUBOG Comedy Chairman Colton Kopcik, but it didn’t stay that way for long as Kinsey frequently got up to talk directly to the audience.

When the student submitted questions were up on the screen, she looked out into the crowd checking to see if the person who asked a question online was there in person. Multiple times through the night, Kinsey got up from her chair and told stories directly to the audience including the story of how her nephew used her picture to meet people on Tinder and it ended up going viral. She also spoke directly to the audience while she told the story of how they threw a cat named Bandit into the ceiling and “blew out Bandit,” Kinsey said. This story was one of the highlights of the night for many students.

“I think the funniest part was the story about saving Bandit. It was right at the end so I think it’s really sticking with me. That’s like my all-time favorite scene like I had a picture of Creed screaming during that scene on my wall all year last year. It’s how I picture my life always just like chaotic so I just loved hearing the background to that,” Kendzierski said.

“She really wanted to get to know us which I thought was interesting from a celebrity perspective,” Macedo said. “I feel like they’re so used to that and she is at this point but she still made an effort to be with the audience.”

Since “The Office” ended in 2013, Kinsey has starred in other shows and worked on other projects, but from the heartfelt memories that she shared onstage, you can tell that nothing has come close to that experience.

“Every week was like winning the lottery,” Kinsey said. She emphasized that the show was so successful because the cast was so close and so the show had the feeling that they were “in this together,” Kinsey said.

Much like “The Office” itself, Kinsey was the bright spot in a long rainy week.

Alexis Taylor is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexis.taylor@uconn.edu.