Apple announces three new iPhones and an improved watch

The iPhone XS, left, and XS Max are displayed side to side during an event to announce new products at Apple headquarters Wednesday, Sept. 12, 2018, in Cupertino, Calif. (AP Photo/Marcio Jose Sanchez)

Yesterday morning at 10 a.m. pacific time, Apple announced the new products they will be releasing this month via livestream from the Steve Jobs Theater in Cupertino, California.

Apple CEO Tim Cook and fellow top executives introduced four new products the company will be selling in the near future including the Apple Watch Series 4, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max and iPhone XR.

“I’m excited to show you what is by far the most advanced iPhone we have ever created,” Cook said before revealing the iPhone XS.

Like the previous iPhone X, the screens of these three new smartphones go top to bottom and edge to edge, but are now made with the most durable glass ever in a smartphone, according to Apple’s Senior Vice President of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller.

The new iPhones have a 5.8 and 6.5 inch super retina display, making it the biggest display ever on an iPhone. Powered by an A12 bionic chip that can process five trillion operations per second, the new phone works faster and more efficiently than its predecessors.

“This A12 bionic is without question the smartest and most powerful chip ever in a smartphone,” Schiller said.

The cameras in the iPhone XS and XS Max are equipped with Smart HDR, giving the photos a more professional appearance. “Portrait mode and portrait lighting photos are better than ever before,” Schiller said, describing the new improvements as, “A breakthrough in photography for smartphones.”

To reach a wider range of customers, Apple unveiled the more affordable iPhone XR. The cheaper phone has a larger selection of colors including coral, yellow, blue and red whereas the XS and XS Max only come in gold, silver and space gray.

“Apple Watch Series 4: Everything about it has been redesigned and re-engineered,” Apple’s chief operating officer Jeff Williams said, explaining that the new Apple Watch Series 4 is “an intelligent guardian for your health.”

“With a new accelerometer and gyroscope, the watch analyzes wrist trajectory and impact acceleration to determine when a fall occurs,” said Williams. If the user does not indicate that they have recovered from their fall within one minute, emergency services are contacted immediately and automatically.

The iPhone XR will be available starting at $749, the XS at $999 and the XS Max at $1099. iPhones XS and XS Max will be available for pre-order starting this Friday, Sept. 14, and the XR can be purchased beginning on Oct. 19.

“What a fantastic new lineup of iPhones,” Cook said. “It’s clearly the best lineup we’ve had by far. Taking the breakthroughs of iPhone X even further than before and making them (accessible) to even more people.”

Rachel Lamore is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.lamore@uconn.edu.