‘I don’t take the busses anymore because they’re useless’

The new Blue Line was designed to service students in areas surrounding Charter Oak, Busby and C-Lot (FIle Photo/The Daily Campus)

Students at the University of Connecticut still are not satisfied with the new bus lines recently implemented by UConn Transportation.

Omar Taweh, Undergraduate Student Government Public Relations Director, has found some predominant issues that students have with the new Blue and Yellow bus lines.

“(There is a) lack of bus routes passing the student union that also go to the outskirts of campus, buses fail to arrive at their scheduled (stop) every 10 or 15 minutes, (and) the lack of bus routes going to Towers, Hilltop and Storrs Center,” Taweh said.

Caitlin Willis, a third-semester English and secondary education major, said she agrees with these issues, and finds the new bus lines to be inconvenient.

“If I have events or activities that are on the opposite side of campus, I can’t get there within a reasonable time frame or at all,” Willis said.

Taweh has been in contact with Mike Jednak, the Associate Vice President of Transportation Services, and said he is making efforts to hear student concerns. He was pleased with his attendance at Wednesday night’s public forum.

“I think the fact that (Jednak) is eager to attend (the forum) points to his desire to get student input on the decisions he will make going forward with regards to transportation,” Taweh said on Tuesday leading up to the event.

Willis wants to see more action and communication from administration as well.

“Clearly if everyone has a problem with (the buses and parking) so much, and (administration) is ignoring us, change needs to happen,” Willis said.

UConn Transportation implemented the new Blue and Yellow lines with hopes to better serve students.

“The UConn Shuttles will begin operating new Blue and Yellow lines to better accommodate the demands of our campus community,” UConn Transportation said on their website.

Some students, including third semester biomedical engineering major Ciara Dobrowolski, have given up on the bus lines all together.

“I don’t take the busses anymore because they’re useless,” Dobrowolski said. “Thanks UConn but I don’t want to walk in the rain.”

If I have events or activities that are on the opposite side of campus, I can’t get there within a reasonable time frame or at all,
— Caitlin Willis

In the future, Taweh hopes there will be communication between students and transportation administrators on a regular basis.

“In my understanding, (regular meetings) are something that will be happening in the coming weeks,” Taweh said.

The new Blue Line was designed to service students in areas surrounding Charter Oak, Busby and C-Lot, according to the UConn Transportation website.

The new Yellow Line was designed to service students in W-Lot, Husky Village and Towers. Its route goes down 195 to Fine Arts and also services the south end of campus, according to the UConn Transportation website.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.