Women’s Soccer: Huskies Take on Last Non-Conference Foe

UConn Women's Soccer lost 3-0 against Rutgers at Morrone Stadium Thursday night. UConn defense stopped Rutgers from scoring in the second half. (Photo by Nicholas Hampton)

The UConn women’s soccer team will take on Eastern Michigan University in their final non-conference game tonight.

The Huskies are 2-6 on the season and are coming off a weekend in which they were 1-1.

“Right now every game is big for us,” UConn’s head coach Margaret Rodriguez said. “Every single game we need to show up and we need to play so we’re treating it one game at a time.”

This is the first time in program history that these two teams will be meeting. EMU has won their last three matches and is 4-3 on the season.

One of the players to watch for the Eagles is redshirt sophomore Sabrina McNeill. McNeill has a career total of 23 points and is currently tied for 23rd most in EMU history. EMU E-Club Hall of Famer Jessica Hope holds the program standard with 117 points.

Another important player for the Eagles is senior goalie Kaylin Williams. Williams has 30 saves so far, this season and 275 for her career.

EMU is coached by Scott Hall. 2018 is Hall’s 20th season with the squad. He was a member of the EMU men’s soccer team from 1990-94.

Something instrumental for the Huskies will be not giving away soft goals and staying disciplined.

“The biggest thing is, we’ve put together some pieces in games where I think we showed a lot of good things,” Rodriguez said. “We were disciplined we were organized.”

Rodriguez also stressed the inexperience of many of her players.

“We have a lot of youth out there,” she said. “A lot of players who didn’t gain a lot of playing time last year. So, we’re getting players more experience.”

After the last home game, Rodriguez said that she is putting faith in the process.

“Right now we’re focusing on the process and the growth and if we can take something from each game and learn from that we’re going to be okay,” she said.

The match between the Huskies and EMU will begin at 7 p.m. at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.