TREBEL Music: A novel and effective approach to free music with few troubles

The TREBEL music app has become increasingly popular and its growth isn’t slowing. Since the initial release of the app in 2016, TREBEL has recorded over four million downloads in both Android and Apple devices. (Screenshot of website)

It is a known fact that people in this generation love to have access to music, especially the ability to choose and play specific songs on-demand. Although many choose to use popular music apps like Spotify or Pandora as their source of music, there are alternatives to accessing music that do not require payments and are playable offline. A new music app is on the rise this year for young music lovers called TREBEL Music.

According to the TREBEL Music website, “TREBEL is the only free and licensed music download app for Android and iPhone that lets you listen to music offline – no WiFi connection needed.”

The free app, like most music streaming/downloading apps, requires users to create accounts with emails or login with their Facebook profiles.

The app presents a simple interface with various tabs that make it easy to navigate and find the right tunes to listen to. The “Search” tab is used to find specific artists, songs or albums. The “Browse” tab acts as a homepage for the app that displays “Featured Music,” “New Arrivals” and “Feature Artists.” The “Library” tab is where all downloaded songs are located and where personal playlists can be created.

I used the app for a few days and it seemed to be a straightforward experience. I searched for a song, downloaded it and played it once it was saved in my library, ready to be played even without Internet or cellular data. It was simple to create a playlist made up of my favorite songs.

Sounds familiar, right? Prominent music apps such as Spotify and Apple Music have similar aspects and the same uses. With Spotify Premium and Apple Music, users can download songs, play songs immediately and play them offline. They have one issue that TREBEL does not: they require payments to utilize the features.

TREBEL is revolutionary due to the fact that it provides great quality music free for download. There was high quality audio and the app helped save battery compared to Spotify. The company accomplishes this through “the confluence of mobile technologies that allow delivery of targeted mobile video and audio advertising while digital music files are being downloaded in the background, migration of brand advertising from desktop to mobile devices, and mobile gamification.”

Not only does TREBEL find success through free music, but it also has a coin system within the app to help users improve their experience. Coins can be used to purchase hours of uninterrupted music and can be obtained through inviting friends, checking in at local businesses, watching ads, downloading music and more. The coin system allows users to spread awareness of the app while improving their own experience.

However, TREBEL still has its flaws. Despite having the licenses/rights to certain songs, some are still unavailable for use. This is a minor issue, as TREBEL works to provide most songs to listeners. Another flaw is that some songs play as videos within the app rather than as music files. To explain, some songs did not play in the background after closing the app because they could only be played if the listener watched the video. It is frustrating that this is the case for some songs and hopefully it can be fixed in future updates.

The TREBEL music app has become increasingly popular and its growth isn’t slowing. Since the initial release of the app in 2016, TREBEL has recorded over four million downloads in both Android and Apple devices. According to a statement released by TREBEL on July 18, 2018, there have been “more than 300,000 new users finding the app through word-of-mouth each month despite little promotion or marketing.”

Overall, TREBEL seems to be an up-and-coming music app with a goal of drawing users away from mainstream music streaming services with its innovative and beneficial features. It could be a promising option to access music, especially since the music is free and playable offline, but it is hard to believe it can replace the current powerhouses of the music app industry.

RATING: 3.9/5

Jude Infante is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at jude.infante@uconn.edu.