Women's Soccer: Missed opportunities cost the Huskies

Yamilee Eveillard tries to keep the ball away from an Eastern Michigan defender during their match Sept. 14, 2018. (Nicholas Hampton/ The Daily Campus)

The Huskies were once again plagued by a lack of scoring Friday in their 1-0 loss to Eastern Michigan University.

Before this game, it appeared UConn finally broke out of their scoring slump, scoring five goals in two games versus Ole Miss and Arkansas. However, despite leading in shots 15-13 and clearly controlling the tempo of the game, UConn was unable to find the back of the net.

The first big missed opportunity came in minute 12, when a shot by Sophia Daynko-Kulchycky was saved. Then, less than three minutes later another shot by Regan Schiappa was stopped. The Huskies proceeded to have three corner kicks in a five-minute span, but were unable to get anything going. UConn would proceed to take four more shots and one more corner in the first half, but were still kept goalless.

Their struggles continued in the second half, as the Huskies were forced to play from behind due to a late first-half goal by EMU forward Sabrina McNeill off of a free kick.

“You don’t put away a chance, you give up a goal in the first half and you end up chasing the game,” head coach Margaret Rodriguez said. “That’s when I think you find more inconsistency because you’re chasing, you’re trying to make rash decisions, and trying to solve it on your own.”

UConn goalie Randi Palacios kept the Huskies in the game, making five saves in the second half alone. However, despite taking eight more shots, the Huskies were just unable to find that elusive goal.

“Towards the second half, I think at that point we didn’t have the mentality in the box,” said Rodriguez. “We allowed balls being floated into their keeper unchallenged, and we needed to find a little bit of the fight and mentality in that final third for us.”

Now heading into conference play Rodriguez is looking up. “It’s a clean slate for us. We’re taking it one game at a time.”

The biggest question will be whether or not the Huskies can figure out the offensive side of the ball, or if this will be the storyline the rest of the season.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.