Around the MLB: UConn George Springer continues his hitting tear as the playoffs approach

Houston Astros' George Springer (4) dives safely toward third base during the first inning of baseball game against the Arizona Diamondbacks Sunday, Sept. 16, 2018, in Houston. (AP Photo/David J. Phillip)

The Major League Baseball regular season is coming to an end as players are either gearing up for the playoffs or for the long offseason. Almost all of the UConn alumni in the MLB are on teams with playoff potential.

The Houston Astros are one of the hottest teams in baseball and are peaking at the perfect time. They have a 4.5 game lead in the AL West which means we will be seeing more of George Springer in the playoffs. Just as the Astros are hot, Springer is red hot, increasing his batting average from .259 to .268 in only a week. Springer went against the Diamondbacks Saturday leading the Astros to a 10-4 victory. Batting in the leadoff spot has negatively affected his RBI total this year, but he will be crucial for the Astros come playoff time. If Houston continue to play well heading into October, they will have a great chance to repeat as World Champions.

Although the Red Sox have widened their lead against the Yankees in the AL East by consistently winning, they have not needed assistance of Red Sox relief pitcher Matt Barnes. The last night he pitched was on Sept. 3; he has remained inactive since. This could not bode well for him come postseason, as now is the time most playoff teams are looking at who is reliable in October.

The Diamondbacks are also fighting for playoff positioning as they are four games back from leading the wild card. Nick Ahmed is quietly putting together an efficient season batting a solid .246 at the bottom of the order on a contending team. For a team with playoff aspirations like the Diamondbacks, Ahmed offers a lot to them and is essential to their success.

Another contending team, the Colorado Rockies, have been treated to stellar pitching from UConn alumni Scott Oberg. Over the past week he has entered the ball game three times only allowing two hits in total and no earned runs. His ERA continues to fall at 2.22 which can only be beneficial for the Rockies. The Rockies will definitely utilize him well come playoffs.

Rajai Davis of the Indians has fallen into a bit of a slump as of this week, not recording a single hit for 10 days. If the Indians are to compete in the playoffs, which they will be, they’ll need him to step up his game and break out of the recent slump.

Daniel Dashefsky is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at daniel.dashefsky@uconn.edu.