Rap Queen Clash: Nicki Minaj and Cardi B

This combination photo shows Nicki Minaj, left, and Cardi B at the Harper's BAZAAR "ICONS by Carine Roitfeld" party at The Plaza in New York on Sept. 7, 2018. Minaj says being involved in an altercation with Cardi B at a fashion week party was “so mortifying and so humiliating.” Cardi B tried to attack Minaj at Harper's Bazaar Icons party in New York on Friday. Video circulated on social media showing Cardi B lunging toward Minaj and throwing her shoe at the rapper. (Photos by Charles Sykes/Invision/AP)

With rap queens Nicki Minaj and Cardi B in attendance at New York Fashion Week’s annual Harper’s Bazaar ICONS party, there was no doubt the night would end in dramatic fashion, as a fight erupted between the two celebrities late at night on Sept. 7.

The fight was captured on video and posted online by onlookers at the star-studded event. Cardi B and Minaj were quickly removed from the melee by their respective security guards. Although Minaj left the scene unharmed, Cardi B was seen leaving with a large bruise above her eye, courtesy of one of Minaj’s security guards.

There are no specifics on the cause of the clash. Cardi B later posted on Instagram presumably shading Minaj for taking shots at her parenting skills. Cardi B’s daughter was born in July of this year.

“I let you lie on me…But when you mention my child…make comments about my abilities to take care of my daughter is when all bets are…off!!” Cardi B addressed her anger with Minaj in her Instagram post, captioned, “PERIOD.”

This particular confrontation between the two rappers is only the latest in an ongoing feud that has escalated since its first mention in the social media sphere, around March 2017. Their relationship has been covered as a series of both praise and animosity, as is often the case when the media pits two successful women against each other.

Tensions between the two surfaced when Minaj allegedly liked a comment on Instagram that dissed Cardi B. Even if the comment and like were fake, as some users on the platform pointed out, the stage was set for the rapper rivalry.

Over the past year, many have speculated about the two women’s actions in relation to each other. A few weeks after the incident in March 2017, Minaj was seen dancing to Cardi B’s “Bodak Yellow,” and all seemed well. Afterwards, there was a continuous stream of the rappers’ alleged references towards each other, both in songs and interviews, such as Minaj’s feature in “No Flag,” Cardi B’s interview at the 2017 MTV VMAs. The two women also have a feature on the Migos song “Motorsport.”

However, none of the supposed disses have specifically referenced the other rapper. In fact, the two have more often been publicized specifically addressing each other to offer congratulations, and have taken to the media to clear up rumors of their feud.

“Congratulations… Bardi, this is the only thing that matters!!! Enjoy it,” Minaj tweeted after Cardi B’s “Bodak Yellow” hit the number one spot on the charts.

“I just feel like it’s really Internet made-up…I don’t really have the time for that,” Cardi B said in an interview before the release of her album “Invasion of Privacy.”

Celebrities and UConn students alike have expressed their opinions on the feud and the two rappers.

“I like both of their music, so I don’t really want to choose a side,” Jessica Berry, a first-semester nursing major, said. “I think we should stop trying to make a big deal out of their actions and let them make their music.”

Azealia Banks, a famous rapper and singer herself, has sided herself with Minaj and attacked Cardi B.

“She doesn’t understand the rules of black female etiquette…black women in 2018, we fight with our words and not our hands,” Banks proclaimed in an Instagram Live video, addressing Cardi B’s behavior.

Then again, even as Minaj and Cardi B have denied claims of any bad blood, tensions surely came to a head in order to lead to the altercation at the Harper’s Bazaar bash. One cannot be sure of their true relationship, but it is likely best to stay out of it. At the very least, we may receive some new tracks from the industry’s rap queens.

Hollie Lao is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.