Renowned comedians Mochrie and Sherwood coming to UConn on Family Weekend

Be sure to pick up your tickets at the Jorgensen box office or on their website in order to partake in “An Evening with Mochrie and Sherwood” during Family Weekend at UConn. (Photo via Jorgensen Center)

On Oct. 6, Brad Sherwood and Colin Mochrie of “Whose Line Is It Anyway?” will be coming to UConn to bring an evening of laughter and entertainment to students and their families at the Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts. The show itself is entirely driven by audience participation as the comedians use their sharp wit to spin suggestions into original scenes and skits.

Since the show is entirely constituted of improvised comedy each show is guaranteed to be refreshing and different than the last.

“95 percent of the content of show is going to be completely new every time because we’re bringing audience members up, we’re using their suggestions and for ourselves we’re trying to make it different every time as well,” Sherwood said in a phone interview. “More than just about any other kind of show or performance that you’re ever going to see- an improv show should be the freshest of all of them.”

Many students on campus aren’t strangers to Mochrie and Sherwood. In fact, this isn’t the duo’s first time coming to UConn either. They have performed at Jorgensen a number of times before.

“The kids that grew up watching us…when they were little,” Sherwood said, “are now in their twenties and buying their own tickets to go see shows so it’s kind of fun to have this group of people that grew up watching us now as fully-functioning adults.”

Although a majority of their audience know Mochrie and Sherwood from the award-winning show “Whose Line?” there are still a number of audience members who may not be familiar with the two comedians at all. However, this doesn’t pose a problem for the improv duo. They’ve been doing comedy for so long that they’re able to appeal to any audience, young and old alike.

“What we do is funny and goofy and there is a certain universality regardless of what is viral on the internet and what is going on in the world. Improvisers are good at finding a way to make you laugh,” Sherwood stated.

Before appearing on “Whose Line?”, Sherwood enjoyed watching comedy as a child, specifically Monty Python and The Carol Burnett Show, as he loves “being in front of an audience and making people laugh.”

“[For] most people that do comedy, that’s sort of their happy drug,” Sherwood said.

He began acting in theatre at the age of eight and further pursued acting in college. Afterwards, he moved to LA to enter the entertainment industry, was introduced to an improv workshop by a friend and he hasn’t stopped doing it since. Through improv, Sherwood learned “what makes people tick, what they find funny and when that changes, you adapt and you go in a different direction,” which sets him apart from stand-up comedians who must plan out their bits as opposed to improv comedians who make up their bits on the spot.

Be sure to pick up your tickets at the Jorgensen box office or on their website in order to partake in “An Evening with Mochrie and Sherwood” during Family Weekend at UConn.

Brandon Barzola is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at brandon.barzola@uconn.edu.