Melissa’s Menu: Monkey bread brie fondue

A dish of monkey bread brie fondue fresh out of the oven. (Photo courtesy of tasty.co)

Now that fall has officially commenced, it’s the perfect time of year for warm, gooey snacks. This week’s recipe is warm, savory and cheesy: monkey bread brie fondue. It’s everything you never knew you needed. Melted brie is encased by balls of dough stuffed with caramelized onions and bacon bits, and it’s absolutely to die for. This is a perfect recipe to whip out for football Sunday, as an appetizer for a dinner party or even just for you to enjoy alone.

Ingredients
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
1 medium thinly sliced white onion
26 ounces of pizza dough
½ cup of chopped bacon
½ stick of unsalted butter, melted
8 ounces of brie cheese (1 wheel)
1 fresh chopped chives, for garnish

For dipping:

Steamed broccoli floret
Boiled baby potato, halved
Sauteed mushroom

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a nine-inch round cake pan with a small ramekin in the center and set aside. Melt butter in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add the onions and sauté until caramelized, stirring occasionally for about 15 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat. Take a golf ball-sized piece of pizza dough and flatten it out with your fingers. Stuff the dough with about a teaspoon of caramelized onions and cooked bacon. Close the dough ball by pinching at the seam and roll into a ball in your hands. Repeat with the remaining dough and fillings. Dip each stuffed ball in the melted butter (feel free to add garlic powder or any herbs/spices of your choice). Place the stuffed balls in the prepared cake pan, stacking them around the ramekin. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees. Remove the ramekin with tongs (it will be hot). Place the wheel of brie in the center. Return the pan to the oven for another 10 minutes, or until the brie is soft. Brush the monkey bread with more melted butter and sprinkle the bread and cheese with chives. Serve with vegetables such as broccoli, potatoes and mushrooms for dipping.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.