UConn in the NFL: Jones continues to shine

Kansas City Chiefs fullback Anthony Sherman (42) runs against a tackle by San Francisco 49ers linebackers Malcolm Smith (51) and Fred Warner (48) during the first half of an NFL football game in Kansas City, Mo., Sunday, Sept. 23, 2018. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel)

While UConn football may not be a powerhouse, they still do produce some NFL caliber talent. After a Week 2 which saw nothing special from former Huskies, they took a step up in Week 3. One even landed himself on Pro Football Focus’ team of the week. Here’s how they did.

Cornerback Byron Jones, Dallas Cowboys

Jones is easily the best player currently in the NFL to come out of Storrs. He is shining, and was named to Pro Football Focus’ team of the week with a grade of 91.1, the highest among all corners. He played every defensive snap for the Cowboys and allowed just three receptions for 10 yards on seven targets. He also recorded five tackles and two pass breakups, anchoring an otherwise unimpressive Dallas secondary.

Fullback Anthony Sherman, Kansas City Chiefs

Sherman was an effective blocker and special teams player, playing eight and 20 snaps on each squad respectively. However that was not all, as he did get involved in the passing game, catching his one target for 16 yards. He caught the screen pass about four yards behind the line of scrimmage, and powered down to the 1-yard line, breaking multiple tackles along the way and falling just short of the touchdown.

Tight End Ryan Griffin, Houston Texans

Griffin was the Texan’s lead tight end, playing 62 total snaps, 52 on offense and 10 on special teams. Griffin caught two of his four targets for 44 yards, his highest total of the season. He also provided his usual blocking presence as is required of the tight end position.

Defensive Tackle Shamar Stephen, Seattle Seahawks

Stephen started for the Seahawks and ended up playing 39 defensive snaps, which was 66 percent of the team’s total. He recorded one tackle and two assists.

Wide Receiver Geremy Davis, Los Angeles Chargers

Davis played in five snaps, but he failed to record a single target, as he is stuck behind Keenan Allen, Mike Williams, Tyrell Williams and Travis Benjamin on the Chargers depth chart.

While these were the only Huskies that saw playing time, quarterback Tim Boyle (GBP), defensive tackle Folorunso Fatukasi (NYJ) and cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson (ATL) were all on rosters but did not play.

It was a rough week for the Huskies, as their respective teams went just 2-6, with Anthony Sherman and Shamar Stephen being the only players on winning teams.

All eight Huskies will be back in action again Week 4, and none of them will have a bye until Week 7.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.