Women's Soccer: Huskies host pair of Florida foes

UConn Women's Soccer plays East Michigan Friday night at Marrone Stadium. Sophomore Yamilee Eveillard led the team with six shots on the goal but the game ended in a 0-1 loss. Photo by Nicholas Hampton/ Associate Photo Editor

The UConn women’s soccer team has a pair of matches against Florida opponents coming up this week, facing off with USF on Thursday and UCF on Sunday. After a road trip to Texas where they fell to both Houston and SMU, the Huskies are headed back to Storrs for a two-game homestand looking to flip the script.

The USF Bulls are 5-1 and one of the strongest teams in The American this season. Their only loss came at the hands of Auburn, who is ranked No. 9 in the United Soccer Coaches poll.

Despite being seventh in the standings due to not playing any conference games yet, they are second in total winning percentage, only behind Memphis. The Bulls are also ranked 20th in the United Soccer Coaches poll. In fact, USF is the No. 1 ranked team in the country in points per game at 10.83.

The Bulls are led by junior forward Evelyne Viens, who is 13th in the country in total points with 21, and since they have only played six games she is first in points per game. Her 21 points include nine goals, which is tied for sixth in the country.

The UCF Knights are having a mediocre season, sitting at 3-3-1 and tied for the sixth best winning percentage in the conference. However, despite being only 3-3-1, two of their losses have come against top-25 ranked opponents. They lost to Texas 2-1 in overtime, who is No. 11 in the United Soccer Coaches poll, and then lost two days later to No. 5 North Carolina.

The Knights have a dynamic goal-scoring duo, with junior Zandy Soree and sophomore Stefanie Sanders combining for nine goals and three assists on 54 shots. The two of them are also responsible for all three of UCF’s game winning goals.

Meanwhile, UConn goes into this next set of games having lost their last four games and have been outscored 11-4 over that span. They are tied for 198th in the country in total points and tied for 226th in points per game.

The Huskies will be in desperate need of some answers on both sides of the ball. Out of their 11 games played, they have given up multiple goals all but once and scored multiple goals just three times.

The Huskies need to win-out in order to finish at .500 for the season and they will try to keep that goal alive this weekend.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.