Brett Kavanaugh: Guilty until proven innocent

FILE - In this Sept. 5, 2018, file photo, President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee, Brett Kavanaugh listens to a question while testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP Photo/Jacquelyn Martin, File)

Judge Brett Kavanaugh was recently accused of sexual assault by a California psychology professor named Christine Blasey Ford. This accusation comes days after the conclusion of Kavanaugh’s hearing in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee, during which he was asked 1,278 questions to gauge his political philosophy, character, and standing on hypothetical future court decisions. Not one line of questioning pertained to this 36-year-old accusation. Why? Because Senator Diane Feinstein (D-CA) hadn’t yet decided to release the information that she had been sitting on for nearly two months.

In early July, Feinstein obtained Ford’s personal account via email. For six weeks she pocketed this information, stalking the opportune moment not to uncover truth and seek justice for a potential victim of sexual assault, but to further stall the confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh and, ultimately, strike down Trump’s nominee indefinitely. Feinstein’s gross mishandling of the situation is not only disgusting, but indicative of the left’s motivations.

Christine Ford is not a sexual assault victim to Democrats, but a pawn to be positioned strategically in order to delay Kavanaugh’s inevitable confirmation. Ford could have been a bludgeon with which to hammer the judge’s law career into oblivion, further solidifying the precedent that rapists or quasi-rapists will be prosecuted for their legal sins, but her story will serve no such purpose.

This has nothing to do with the Me Too movement and everything to do with the left’s desperate search for a deus ex machina to save them from President Trump.

Since this accusation has come to the forefront, Kavanaugh has “categorically and unequivocally” denied it, maintaining that he never even attended the high school party in question. What party, you ask?

We don’t know because Ford has failed to provide a day, month or address for this little soiree. In fact, she has provided no corroborating witnesses or evidence of any kind to substantiate her accusation from 1982.

Despite the lack of credible evidence to corroborate such a damning accusation, Democrats have demonstrated their willingness to condemn Brett Kavanaugh to the fiery pits of judicial unemployment.

The View’s Joy Behar babbled on air that “white men” are protecting the “probably guilty” Brett Kavanaugh. Rosie O’Donnell proclaimed, “Brett Kavanaugh attempted rape.” Kathy Griffin reemerged from exile to state, “I believe you Professor Christine Blasey Ford.” Bradley Whitford entreated for support of an anti-Kavanaugh tweet, posting, “[r]etweet if you want to #StopKavanaugh.”

Former Senator Barbara Boxer (D-CA) stated “this woman is to be believed,” and Senator Mazie Hirono (D-HI), in a moment of feminist glory, advised men to “shut up and step up. Do the right thing, for a change.”

The U.S. Constitution, under the 14th Amendment, provides for all American citizens the right to the presumption of innocence. In other words, when accused of criminal wrongdoing in this country, the perpetrator is, in fact, innocent until proven guilty.

These are terrible people, miserable obstructionists willing to ruin a man’s life out of shear desperation to thwart President Trump’s conservative nominee in the absence of evidence. Democrats argue that this character assassination is an apolitical stand to uncover truth and defend the rights of women, but the evidence indicates otherwise.

Senator Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) wrote in a fundraising email:

“[N]ow we’re learning new information about a sexual assault allegation. If we all get in this fight right now, from Boston and across the country–then we’ve got a fighting chance at stopping the Republicans and Kavanaugh in their tracks.”

Warren signed off with a big red donate now button.

It’s about truth, folks. Protecting the rights of women. Nothing at all to do with politics.

As the minority in the Senate, Democrats are ever-aware that the supremely qualified Brett Kavanaugh will pass through the confirmation vote swifter than Derek Jeter into Cooperstown. In a stroke of borderline criminal genius, Feinstein found this woman’s accusation in the back of the fridge and decided she might as well use it before it goes bad.

Democrats are all too willing to presume Kavanaugh’s guilt, but for weeks not the least bit interested in a hearing to prove it, instead, seeking a drawn out investigation, despite a glaring lack of evidence. They don’t want justice for Christine Ford. They want to #StopKavanaugh.

In the presence of any evidence, I will withdraw my support faster than hand from stovetop. But, without it, you can rightly expect Judge Kavanaugh to become Justice Kavanaugh very soon.

Last I heard, Americans are innocent until proven guilty. Not twisted the other way around.

Kevin Catapano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.catapano@uconn.edu.