Women’s Soccer: UConn Overpowered

UConn Women's Soccer lost against USF Thursday night in Morrone. The game ended in a score of 0-4. The next home game will be noon on Sunday at Morrone Stadium. (Photo by Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s soccer team lost 0-4 to USF on Thursday night. The team is now 2-10 on the season and 0-3 in The American.

After the game, UConn’s head coach Margaret Rodriguez discussed the takeaways she took from the loss.

“I think South Florida is a class team,” Rodriguez said. “I think they’re good but I believe we competed in moments.

Rodriguez also talked about keeping morale up for Sunday’s match against UCF.

“So, the biggest thing that this team has right now, record aside, is we’re still bleeding with what we’re doing,” Rodriguez said. “We’re a great group. We’re focused at practice. We’re going into it with a committed game plan and that’s all you can do.”

The Bulls are 6-1 on the season and 1-0 in The American.

The Huskies were scoreless in the first half with the Bull’s first goal coming at 12:29 from Evelyne Viens. The goal was Viens 13th on the season.

A little over 10 minutes, later USF’s Aubrey Megrath scored to double the score. Both goals in the first half were unassisted.

For this match redshirt sophomore Mollie Kerrigan started in goal for the Huskies. This was Kerrigan’s first start this season. She previously played the second half of UConn’s away match against Boston University earlier this season.

The Huskies started redshirt sophomore Randi Palacios played every other game this season. Palacios has a save percentage of .659.

Rodriguez addressed switching Palacios and Kerrigan. “Unfortunately, Randi gave up soft goals over the weekend and things leading up to that,” Rodriguez said. “So, we needed to make a change. You got to see what Mollie can do and figure things out from there.”

UConn was outshot 7-3 by UF in the first half.

The second half of the game was much of the same for the Huskies with Viens scoring another goal for USF in the 49th minute.

Later in the second half the Bull’s continued to tally points with sophomore Leah Ferlin, adding to USF’s total.

Next up, the Huskies will play conference foe UCF at Morrone Stadium on Sunday. The game is slated to start at 12 p.m.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.