Melissa’s Menu: Salted caramel potato chip cookies

Follow the recipe below to make delicious salted caramel potato chip cookies. (Tasty)

This week’s recipe is a unique twist on one of the most classic desserts. They’re sweet, they’re savory, they’re chewy and they’re crunchy all at the same time: They’re salted caramel potato chip cookies! Trust me, I know this sounds weird, but don’t knock it ‘til you try it. The potato chips add a really nice crunch and saltiness to the cookie that pairs perfectly with the caramel drizzle. These cookies are super easy to make and very delicious, which is why this recipe is definitely worth a try, especially if you’re feeling adventurous.

Ingredients

1 cup salted butter, 2 sticks, room temperature
½ cup of sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla
1 ½ cups of flour
1 cup of plain potato chips, finely crushed
25 caramel candies
¼ cup of heavy cream
Coarse sea salt, to taste

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl, mix butter and sugar until the texture of the mixture is fluffy. Add vanilla and half of the flour, then mix. Add the rest of the flour and mix until fully incorporated. Stir in potato chips and roll dough into one-inch balls. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the edges turn brown. In a saucepan, melt the caramels with the heavy cream. Drizzle over the cookies and immediately top with coarse sea salt.

This recipe is great because it’s really simple and only calls for a few ingredients, so you’ll be making a unique treat with minimal effort. If you enjoy sweet and savory combinations (think bacon and maple), this is definitely a recipe for you!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.