Column: David Pindell? Good. UConn? Not good.

Quarterback David Pindell appeared as a lone bright spot on  a bleak Thursday loss to UCF (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

Randy Edsall and the UConn Huskies were quite simply smoked during their season-opener with defending “national champion” UCF.

If there is a positive to take away from a 56-17 rout, it would be the play of quarterback David Pindell. The senior quarterback threw for 266 yards and a touchdown while running for 161 yards and another touchdown.

It seemed that while everything was going wrong for the Huskies on Thursday night, Pindell continued to shine with his playmaking and ability to scamper in and out of the pocket.

It seems teams have taken notice of the senior quarterback. Pindell was the only name that came out of Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin’s mouth in an interview with the media Monday.

“Watching him, he’s elusive; he’s athletic,” Harsin said, as reported by the Hartford Courant. “Statistically against UCF… that’s impressive. I’ve coached quarterbacks, and the guys that can do that, they’re hard to defend.… Last week’s quarterback could move and things like that, but this guy’s better. We’ve got to do a better job of getting to the ball and then being disciplined. If we’re not disciplined and he pulls down and he does something and runs it, that’s a problem.”

Pindell can give something to UConn they haven’t felt in years: a reason to be excited. At the same time, the quarterback gives opposing teams something they finally have to plan against when playing the Huskies.

Imagine that? It sounds like we’re a legitimate football team! I’m having fun already.

If nothing else, in regards to the ever-lasting debate about student attendance, Pindell is at least a reason to show up.

Say what you will about UConn’s new game-day experience, but an electric quarterback will always sell tickets even when a Rentschler Field Happy Hour may not.

To be fair, it’s only been one game. But the one game was against the No. 19 team in the country. I’d say that’s a good start for the man under center.

Connor Donahue is the digital editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.f.donahue@uconn.edu. He tweets at @conn_donahue.