UConn in the MLB: Matt Barnes faltering lately for Red Sox

Boston Red Sox relief pitcher Matt Barnes reacts after giving up a home run to Miami Marlins' Starlin Castro, which tied the game at 4-4, during the eighth inning of a baseball game at Fenway Park in Boston, Tuesday, Aug. 28, 2018. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)

The MLB season is entering its final month and several former UConn baseball players currently playing in the show. How are they doing?

CF George Springer - Houston Astros

Coming off a World Series MVP performance in 2017, the New Britain native is having another solid season for the Astros. Springer earned his second straight All-Star Game appearance. A slow start and injuries have held his numbers back this season; his .255 batting average, 20 home runs and 65 RBI are below last season’s pace. He looks to have regained his groove in the second half of the season, though, batting .280 with an .863 OPS.

RP Matt Barnes - Boston Red Sox

Barnes, of Bethel, is having his best season as a key member of the Red Sox bullpen. His 3.39 ERA, 92 strikeouts and 1.20 walks and hits per innings pitched (WHIP) are all career highs and he’s on pace to exceed his career high of innings pitched as well. He has faltered a bit in the past month but still has the faith of the Red Sox coaching staff.

SS Nick Ahmed - Arizona Diamondbacks

In his first full healthy year since 2015, Ahmed is setting career highs in many offensive categories for Arizona. His 16 home runs, 60 RBI, 107 hits and .724 OPS are all personal bests for the Springfield, MA native. A capable defender as well, his defense has been worth 2.6 wins above replacement (WAR) at his position this season.

RP Scott Oberg - Colorado Rockies

A former Husky teammate of Springer, Barnes and Ahmed, Oberg is having a solid season in an otherwise disastrous Colorado bullpen. His 2.64 ERA is second amongst relief pitchers on the team and his 1.08 WHIP is a career best. It is also worth noting that he’s only allowed five earned runs in 32 innings since the start of May.  

RF John Andreoli - Baltimore Orioles

Andreoli, also a teammate of the aforementioned players while at UConn, made his Major League debut this season for the Seattle Mariners, only briefly appearing for the team before being claimed off waivers by the Baltimore Orioles. In 13 games between the two American League squads, Andreoli has a .211 batting average, one RBI and no home runs.

Neil Simmons is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at neil.simmons@uconn.edu.