Men’s Soccer: Huskies looking for win at home following two-game skid

The Men's Soccer team face off against the Memphis Tigers for Senior Night on Saturday Oct. 28. Although UConn outshot the Tigers 16-12, the Huskies came up short, losing 2-1. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The men’s soccer team will look to defend home field against Dartmouth College Saturday night in the Go4thegoal Game for Pediatric Cancer.

Dartmouth, who was ranked No. 22 in the nation last week, is the next opponent in UConn’s tough schedule to start the season. After two home wins against Lehigh and Niagara, the Huskies lost two road games to ranked opponents in Notre Dame and Indiana University. As UConn stands at 2-2-0, Dartmouth is 0-2-0 with their losses coincidentally coming against Indiana and Notre Dame.

UConn has had a hard time generating offense to start the season. After two goals in the season opener, then one goal the next game, the Huskies have been blanked in each of their last two games. Senior forward Abdou Mbacke Thiam, who has led the team in goals each of the last three seasons, will look to lead the young Huskies’ attack and give the defense some help.

UConn’s defense, aside from the three goals allowed to Notre Dame, has held their opponents in check. The Huskies shut Niagara out, and allowed just one goal each to Lehigh and Indiana, who was the No. 6 team at the time. UConn’s defense, led by seniors Jacob Hauser-Ramsey and Dylan Greenberg, will try to keep shots off of their goal. Controlling the ball and dominating time of possession was UConn’s secret to success in their first two wins. They only allowed six total shots in those games combined. If the Huskies can find their shots and limit Dartmouth’s, they will be in good shape.

The game will kick off at 7:00pm on Saturday, Sept. 8 at Morrone Stadium.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.