Troye Sivan’s ‘Bloom’ is budding with energy

This cover image released by Capitol Records shows "Bloom,' the latest release by Troye Sivan. (Capitol Records via AP)

Troye Sivan released his new album “Bloom” last week and it has quickly made its way into my list of favorite albums.

Sivan is an Australian artist who began as a Youtuber, posting weekly vlogs and music covers. He released his first EP, “TRXYE” back in 2014 and produced his first studio album, “Blue Neighborhood” in 2015. His transition into the music industry and his push to be taken seriously as an artist has led to enormous growth as a musician. The difference between this album and his previous work is almost tangible.

The album release is a sweet relief for fans who missed Sivan’s work. He quit Youtube after he began making music professionally, so his return to the music world has been anticipated for a while. I was worried I wouldn’t like the album or that his quitting Youtube wouldn’t be worth it, but “Bloom” is in no way a disappointment.

The album is a perfect mixture of songs for a variety of moods, from dancing with friends to crying in a corner over your recent breakup. Most of the album is high energy, but a few of the songs are beautifully written tracks with piano chords in the background that weigh heavily on your soul.

His last album felt like it fell into the trap of creating the kind of “bubblegum pop” that people wanted to hear. I think “Bloom” shows us more of the kind of music Sivan wants to create, not just what he thinks people want him to make.

The opening track, “Seventeen,” is one of my favorite songs on the album. It gives me a “Call Me By Your Name” vibe and has been stuck in my head for days now.

“Dance To This” features pop icon Ariana Grande, which was a welcomed surprise. The combination of their voices is nothing short of beautiful. The song is a work of art and is definitely worth a listen if you don’t feel like streaming the full album.

Sivan has always had a talent for capturing the feeling of love and heartbreak in his songs. “What a Heavenly Way to Die,” which harkens back to the vibe of Sivan’s older music, does an amazing job of this. “What a time to be alive,” Sivan writes, “Because forever is in your eyes/ But forever ain’t half the time/ I wanna spend with you.”

One of my favorite things about the album is how Sivan doesn’t shy away from his use of pronouns anymore. In his previous works, his songs were full of words like “you” and “baby.” It’s incredibly refreshing to hear him transition into lines like “An ode to the boy I love/ Boy, I’ll die to care for you.”

“Bloom” did not disappoint. Sivan continues to amaze with his talent and song-writing. My only complaint is that some of the songs sound similar and can get a bit repetitive. But all and all, it’s a great album that is simultaneously energetic but relaxing, too. It’s one of those albums that would be great for studying.

Rating: 4/5

Courtney Gavitt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at courtney.gavitt@uconn.edu.