Field Hockey: Huskies tops UMass and Syracuse

File- UConn field hockey presses the attack against Michigan State. (Eric Wang/ The Daily Campus)

The No. 1 ranked UConn field hockey team defeated UMass and Syracuse on the road over the weekend to remain undefeated (6-0) this season.

The Huskies rolled to a 8-3 win against the Minutemen Friday night in Amherst, MA. Senior Amanda Collins, junior Svea Boker and freshman Abby Gooderham each scored twice as the Huskies got off to a quick 5-0 lead in the first half and never looked back.

Collins scored the opener just 19 seconds into the game while fifth-year senior Cecile Pieper and Boker each got on the scoresheet before the five minute mark. Junior Antonia Tiedtke chipped in with a goal and three assists for the Huskies, who outshot the Minutemen 27-5. UConn earned four penalty corners and scored on three, while UMass was unable to convert on
their two penalty corner opportunities.

The Huskies picked up their second win of the weekend with a 3-0 win at No. 10 Syracuse on Sunday. Sophomore Jessica Dembrowski opened the scoring at the 15 minute mark while
Pieper and Boker added second-half goals to round out the scoring for UConn. Sophomore goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher earned her third shutout of the season with a four-save performance.

Each team recorded six shots, but the Huskies held a 4-2 advantage in penalty corners, one of which they converted for a goal.

Through six games, Pieper leads the team in goals (five) and points (13). Boker, Collins and Gooderham all have double-digit point totals while Sprecher holds a .73 save rate with 16 saves in goal. As a team, UConn is averaging over four goals per game while only allowing an average of one.

The Huskies will host Quinnipiac on Saturday at noon.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.