Women’s Hockey: UConn looking to continue streak vs. No. 3 Northeastern

File Photo/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s hockey team is gearing up for a two-game series against No. 3 Northeastern. Northeastern is coming off of its third loss of the season and is about to crash head-on into UConn’s six-game win streak.

UConn beat New Hampshire 4-1 in its last game, after an offensive outburst in the third period. The Huskies were led by 39 saves from goaltender Morgan Fisher, two goals from forward Natalie Snodgrass, and a goal each from Morgan Wabick and Briana Colangelo. The three-goal third period earned them the win after going down 1-0 in the first period and Snodgrass tied it up in the second.

Due to their recent success, UConn (13-9-1, 8-7-1) is sitting in fifth in the Women’s Hockey East standings. No. 3 Northeastern (15-3-3, 13-2-2) is sitting atop the conference, with a plus-31 goal differential in conference play.

The UConn Huskies have only played one of the current top 10 ranked teams, as they lost all three games against No. 10 Boston College and did not score a single goal in any of those matchups. Northeastern beat Boston College 4-1 last Friday, but then lost 5-7 Saturday.

Snodgrass is leading UConn in points this season with 23, as she has scored 12 and assisted 11. The Minnesota native is on a scoring tear at the moment, having scored nine goals in her last five games played. Junior forward Catherine Crawley is right behind her with 21 points, with eight goals and a team-leading 13 assists.

The Northeastern Huskies are led by freshman forward Alina Mueller with 31 points, 13 goals and 18 assists. Senior forward Kasidy Anderson has also put away 14 with eight assists in 21 games for them. Northeastern goaltender Aerin Frankel is tied for the most shutouts in the nation with five on the year and is second in the country with a .947 save percentage.

These games should be tightly contested with plenty of goals, as Northeastern is averaging 3.57 goals per game and UConn is averaging 2.74 goals per game. Northeastern does not give up many goals, allowing just under two a game.

It will be a battle for this UConn team, but they are on a great run of success and Northeastern did lose to the 1-19-3 Holy Cross Crusaders earlier this season.

Friday’s game will take place at 6 p.m. in Matthew’s Arena in Boston, MA. Northeastern is 7-1-0 in all games in this arena this season, their sole loss was to Colgate back in October. Saturday’s matchup will be at 3 p.m. at home for UConn at the Mark E. Freitas Ice Forum. UConn is 8-4-0 at Freitas this winter, with a plus-six goal differential in those games.

Mike Mavredakis is a campus correspondent for the Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu.