Men's Track And Field: Several Huskies post top-five finishes in Sorlien Invitational

The UConn men’s track and field team traveled to the University of Rhode Island over the final weekend of winter break to compete in the Sorlien Invitational. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s track and field team traveled to the University of Rhode Island over the final weekend of winter break to compete in the Sorlien Invitational. After winning the Beantown Challenge, the Huskies hope to continue building momentum heading into their first championship meet on Feb. 1. Several Huskies posted top five finishes in another strong performance for the squad. 

Freshmen Josiah Thompson and Xavier Smith placed second in the 60m and 60m hurdles, clocking in at 7.01 seconds and 8.35 seconds respectively. 

Gregory Clark (Fr.) placed third in the 400m dash with 50.58 seconds, setting a new personal record. Kyle Barber (Sr.) also set a new personal best, finishing 1,000m in 2:26.94, shaving two seconds off of his best time.  

The Huskies dominated the 500m dash, claiming four of the top five finishes. Wellington Ventura (Fr.) led the way with a time of 1:05.09, earning his first collegiate win. Tyler Green, Noah Woodman and Colt Nichols finished second, fourth and fifth, with times of 1:05.57, 1:06.14 and 1:06.52 respectively. 

In the 800m dash sophomores Eric Van Der Els and Brian Camilleri took the top two spots. Van Der Els recorded a time of 1:53.90 in his first 800m dash of the season.  

Peter Garmon (Sr.) took first place in the one 1mile run, finishing in 4:18.73. Aidan Fiol (Sr.) and Ian McKool (Jr.) placed first and second in the 3,000m run with times of 8:38.67 and 8:49.77.  

In the field events, Todd Steuer (So.) won the shot put with a 16.85 meter throw (55 ft, 3.5 in), a new personal best for him. Ian Bergere (Sr.) also took home a win in the pole vault, getting up 4.90 meters, or just over 16 feet. 

Ivan Nyemeck (Jr.) and Collin Wiltshire (Fr.) both set personal bests in jumping events. Nyemeck recorded a long jump of 6.77 meters (22 ft, 2.5 in), placing fourth. Wiltshire placed third in the triple jump with 13.95 meters (45 ft, 9.25 in) 

The Huskies will compete in the Columbia Challenge at the New York City Armory this weekend.  

Neil Simmons is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at neil.simmons@uconn.edu.