Track and Field: UConn performs well ahead of the New England Championship

Seventeen schools competed in the challenge and UConn placed ninth overall. UConn accumulated 26 points at the meet. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

With the New England Championship looming ahead, UConn looked to prepare for the competition last weekend with the Columbia Challenge in New York City.

Much of the season so far has been in preparation for big events like the Columbia Challenge and these challenges serve as good ways for the coaches to go into competitions with a better understanding of their personnel.

Seventeen schools competed in the challenge and UConn placed ninth overall. UConn accumulated 26 points at the meet. BYU placed first in the competition with 89 points followed by Ohio State in second with 81. These schools will not be in the New England Championship so it is good practice to see top tier competition from other parts of the country.

Sophomore Tyler Greene was the star performance of the weekend as he secured UConn’s only first place performance in the 800-meter run. Freshman Joseph Pearl also competed in the 800-meter run alongside Green and placed ninth.

On top of Greene’s great performance, nine other UConn runners placed in the top 10. The seniors set an example for the younger guys, placing very well in their respective competitions. Senior Kyle Barber continued his sustained excellence for UConn as he competed in the mile run, finishing fifth posting a 4:09:40 time. Senior Michael McGoniggle placed eighth in the 3000 meter run alongside sophomore Will Brisman who finished in the top 20.

Sophomore Daniel Claxton placed sixth in the men's high jump posting a high of 2.04 meters. Junior Cameron Thompson finished eighth in weight throws tossing 17.50 meters.

With some positive showings in these challenges, head coach Greg Roy will have an easier decision on who to trust in the upcoming championship. He’s trusted his experienced players all season and they showed out at Columbia.

Daniel Dashefsky is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at daniel.dashefsky@uconn.edu.