Women’s Hockey: UConn pulls out a win with a late goal against Holy Cross

Sophomore Natalie Snodgrass has been a key force all season for the Huskies. Photo by Eric Wang/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s hockey team (11-9-1, 6-7-1 Hockey East) continued its post-break form with a series sweep of Holy Cross (1-18-2, 1-14-0). The Huskies are riding a four-game win streak and are 3-0 since the break.

At home at the Freitas Ice Forum Friday, UConn won 4-3 in the first game of the two-game set. They then took the next tilt 6-3 over Holy Cross to seal the sweep in Worcester, Mass., Saturday.

Led by sophomore forward Natalie Snodgrass’ goal late in Friday’s matchup and her hat trick on Saturday, the Huskies were able to sweep the season series against Holy Cross. Snodgrass is leading UConn in points, with 20. Her goals were assisted by: Catherine Crawley (twice), Taylor Wabick, and Viki Harkness. She also went a combined 31-5 on face-offs over the two games. Since the break ended, the Minnesota native has been on a goal-scoring tear with six in just three games.

Morgan Wabick added a brace Saturday with the second and third goal of the day for UConn. Both of her goals were assisted by Savannah Bouzide as well as Taylor Wabick and Briana Colangelo, respectively. Morgan Wabick also scored Friday with the help of Colangelo and Jaime Fox. She has scored nine times and has collected 10 assists on the season.

Crawley also scored Friday with the help of Snodgrass and Jaime Fox. This was Crawley’s seventh of the season. Colangelo also put in the last goal Saturday, assisted by Morgan Wabick and Bouzide. This final goal puts Colangelo at six goals in her 21 games this year.

Freshman defender Camryn Wong hit the ice hard just seconds into Friday’s matchup, and did not play for the rest of the game. She was able to play Saturday, however, and seems to be fine as there was no injury update sent out Saturday morning.

In the first matchup of the season between these two sides, UConn made the most of its powerplay opportunities with three goals in six chances. However, over the weekend series they scored just once during their seven powerplays. They seemed hesitant to take shots Friday on powerplay with just three shots. They spent a majority of their short-handed opportunities passing the puck back and forth around the back-line.

“I think Holy Cross does a good job of getting in lanes, but I agree we need to be more aggressive, get pucks to the net, move to get open, and get the open shot,” said senior defender Jaime Fox.

UConn was more aggressive on this front Saturday as they took ten shots while Holy Cross was short-handed, and they converted on one of those attempts.

“Transition game. Transition to offense and transition to defense. That’s where a lot of goals happen. If you look at tonight, entries into the zone within five seconds that’s when the offense happens. That will be a focus for us the rest of the season,” said head coach Chris Mackenzie when asked what they were looking to improve upon heading into the contest.

Mike Mavredakis is a campus correspondent for the Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu.