Ariana Grande's latest album releases featuring top singles

Ariana Grande’s latest album “Thank u, Next” was released Feb. 8, featuring her Billboard Top 10 singles “Thank u, Next,” “Imagine” and “7 Rings.” 

Along with the album that everyone has been waiting for came Grande's music video for “break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored.” The video follows Grande in her pursuit of another woman's boyfriend at a nightclub, which later transitions to a pool party. Grande sees herself with this man and parallels are drawn between her and the girlfriend.

Other than the singles, there were a couple of other new songs that caught the attention of Grande’s fans.

The song “ghostin” is believed to be about Grande’s ex-boyfriend Mac Miller, who died earlier this year of an overdose. The song goes through Grande’s mourning when she was still engaged to Pete Davidson. She apologized to Davidson in the song for putting him through pain while she was mourning Miller.

In the chorus Grande sings, “I know that it breaks your heart when I cry again over him, mmh. I know that it breaks your heart when I cry again 'stead of ghostin' him.”

Another album highlight, “needy” is an unapologetic song about being what some consider clingy or needy but is really an expression of a need for companionship. Grande in particular is known to rely heavily on companionship, hence her quick engagement to Davidson. In the song she also opens up about her anxiety and tendency to over-apologize.

The album as a whole is surprising because it led with singles like “Thank u, Next” and “7 Rings” that are lined with an overwhelming amount of confidence and hip-hop influences. In the album, while there are some songs that resemble the same tone, there are also a lot of emotional and more pop-influenced songs.

In “Thank u, Next,” Grande brings the hip-hop and pop crossover hits that people have come to love. Some songs are reminiscent of ‘90s-style soulful R&B with her strong vocal range showcased. She did not lose touch with her pop roots. She showed off her iconic vocal range, with high-pitched falsettos peppered throughout the album, as well as a good amount of lyrical depth. An amazing example of this is the song “fake smile,” where Grande talks about being tired of faking her happiness.

The chorus itself showed off her vocals in the line “I can't fake another smile, I can't fake like im alright. woo, ah.”

Grande won a Grammy for Best Pop Vocal Album but decided to skip the Grammys in light of her disagreement with a producer. She addressed her absence on twitter after the award was announced.

Grande tweeted, “I know I’m not there tonight (trust, I tried and still truly wished it had worked out tbh) and I know I said I try not to put too much weight into these things .... but f*ck ....... this is wild and beautiful. thank you so much.”

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu.