Men’s Track and Field: Underclassmen come up big in Pre-Conference Meet

UConn men’s track and field traveled to Kingston, RI last Friday to take on URI in a one-on-one matchup before next week’s American Championship. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

UConn men’s track and field traveled to Kingston, RI last Friday to take on URI in a one-on-one matchup before next week’s American Championship. While the meet was non-scoring, the Huskies were able to come out on top in eight of the 13 events, many of them being won by freshmen and sophomores.

The day started off strong, as freshmen Josiah Thompson and Myles Calhoun finished first and second in the 60-meter dash with times of 6.98 and 7.00 seconds respectively.

Next up for UConn was the 400-meter race, sophomore Omar Gebril won his first ever collegiate race, crossing the line in 49.75 seconds. Freshman Adam Khriss was not far behind, finishing in second place with a time of 50.50 seconds.

It was more of the same for the Huskies in the 500 and 800-meter races. Freshman Gregory Clark was able to get his first collegiate victory in the 500 meters, finishing with the top time of 1:06.56 while senior Kyle Barber ran in his first 800 meter of the year and was able to come out victorious, finishing in 1:53.97, good enough for ninth overall in the AAC. Freshman Joseph Pearl finished two seconds later to come in second place.

The 60-meter hurdles were dominated by UConn, as freshmen Tomi Alao and Konstantin Rust tied for first place with times of 8.24 seconds. Senior Ian Bergere finished first in the pole vault and sophomore Devon McShane came in second with leaps of 4.95 and 4.65 meters respectively.

The day ended with sophomore Todd Steuber taking home the shot-put title launching the weight 17.17 meters (56’4”), a new personal best by over a foot and good enough for fifth place in the American.

The Huskies will look to carry this momentum into next weekend when they head to Birmingham, Alabama to compete in the American Indoor Championship on Friday and Saturday.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.gilson@uconn.edu.