Softball: Runs hard for Huskies to find in Florida softball tournament

UConn went 0-4 in last weekend’s Florida Atlantic Softball Tournament in Boca Raton, Florida. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

UConn went 0-4 in last weekend’s Florida Atlantic Softball Tournament in Boca Raton, Florida, taking two losses each to Florida Gulf Coast University and Florida Atlantic University.

Over the course of the four games, the Huskies (3-9) struggled to put runs on the board. UConn only scored four runs and were shutout twice by FGCU (7-5). Their games with FAU (8-7) went a little better, resulting in 3-2 losses in both.

The 3-2 loss that came Saturday was tightly contested throughout, with the game remaining scoreless for the first four innings. FAU broke through in the fifth and sixth innings and commanded a 3-0 lead going into the seventh.

Carli Cutler was hit by a pitch to lead the inning off, then advanced to third as Briana Marcelino reached second on a throwing error. Olivia Sappington scored Cutler by grounding out to second, which also advanced Marcelino to third. Then, Alexis Lemus singled to right to score Marcelino.

The rally ultimately fell one run short after FAU was able to get the double play they needed to end the game. Mia Olsen went the distance for the Owls, only allowing four hits, striking out two and walking none.

Katie Koshes and Marybeth Olson pitched for the Huskies, with Koshes going 5.1, allowing the three runs on just four hits while walking two. Two of FAU’s runs came on sacrifice flies.

The first game Saturday was a 7-0 loss to FGCU. The Huskies could hardly touch Riley Randolph, who pitched all seven innings and struck out 13 while only allowing two hits and a walk.

Sunday featured back-to-back one-run losses to the same teams they played Saturday. The first of which was a 1-0 pitcher’s duel between the Huskies’ duo of Marybeth Olson and Koshes and FGCU’s Randolph.

Randolph came away with another complete game shutout, striking out nine while allowing two hits and three walks. Marybeth Olson went five for UConn, allowing just one run on five hits and striking out nine with no walks. Koshes pitched the final two innings in relief, allowing just one hit. FGCU got to Marybeth Olson in the fourth inning thanks to an RBI double by Brooke Clemens.

The final game of the tournament was another 3-2 loss to FAU. UConn struck first on a bunt single by Chloe Kerns, which scored Reese Guevarra to make the score 1-0. The only UConn lead of the weekend was short-lived, though, as two innings later FAU made the score 2-1.

After trading runs in the sixth, FAU’s Skylar Whitty was able to hold the lead and come away with the win. Whitty went the distance, striking out seven.

The Huskies were only able to get 13 hits and four runs through the four games. Though their pitching and defense were just fine, the bats need to come alive if UConn wants any chance in these Florida tournaments.

UConn will have a chance to put an end to their nine-game losing streak next weekend in the Judi Garman Classic in Fullerton, California. The tournament starts off for the Huskies with a game against California State University, Northridge Friday at 3 p.m.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at sean.janos@uconn.edu.