Women’s Hockey: UConn drops final regular season game to BU

In front of one of the biggest home crowds of the season Friday night, UConn (14-16-4, 9-14-4 Hockey East) was unable to permeate BU’s strong defense and goaltending. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The Huskies battled back late, but Boston University’s three goals proved to be insurmountable as the UConn women’s hockey team failed to send its seniors out with a win.

In front of one of the biggest home crowds of the season Friday night, UConn (14-16-4, 9-14-4 Hockey East) was unable to permeate BU’s strong defense and goaltending, despite winning the shot advantage by a large margin, 36-20.

Head coach Chris MacKenzie spoke about why it was difficult to get quality shots against the Terriers’ defense.

“They play a good, structured game that the shots they are going to give up will be on the outside initially,” MacKenzie said after the game. “They’ve played stingy defense all year so credit to them.”

Neither team generated a lot of offense in the first period, but BU (19-7-8, 15-6-6 Hockey East) was able to cash in on one of their four shots to go up 1-0. The second period was all Terriers on the scoresheet as well as they put in two more goals to take a commanding 3-0 lead.

In the final period, UConn finally broke through with a two-on-one opportunity that ended in a Danika Pasqua goal on a Natalie Snodgrass assist to cut the lead to 3-1. Although they would control the puck for most of the period and outshoot BU 21-11, the Huskies were unable to find the back of the net again.

UConn was 0-for-4 on power play opportunities, while BU cashed in on their only power play chance.

The Terriers’ goalie Corinne Schroeder played a terrific game, registering 35 saves on the 36 shots she faced, including 20 in the third period. On the other side, Morgan Fisher made 17 saves on 20 shots.

Despite finishing the regular season on a down note, winning just one of their final 11 games, the Huskies are heading to the Hockey East Tournament as the seventh seed. After the results of Saturday’s game, the bracket is set and UConn will be playing the No. 2 seed BC Eagles on the road in the best-of-three quarterfinal series.

The Huskies will certainly have their work cut out for them, as BC is ranked in the top 10 in the country. UConn went 0-3 against the Eagles this season without scoring a single goal.

Senior Nora Maclaine said the team has a lot of confidence going into the tournament.

“We know we can beat any team that we play,” Maclaine said. “No matter who it is, we’re going to go into the game with the right mindset, we’re going to get a good week of practice in and we’ll go from there.”

Note: Sophomore forward Morgan Wabick did not dress for Friday’s game due to sickness, but she should be ready for the tournament, MacKenzie said.

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu.