Women’s Hockey: Senior Night celebration for an incredible senior class

Senior Jaime Fox (#47) handles the puck. Fox, along with the other seniors, was honored before their game against BU. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

Before their game against Boston University on Friday night, the four senior members of the UConn women’s hockey team were honored alongside their families for their commitment to the program over the last four years.

Head coach Chris MacKenzie said that this senior group of Jaime Fox, Rebecca Lindblad, Nora Maclaine and Kayla Mee was a privilege to coach and that he will miss them.

“They’ve really helped to create that family atmosphere with our group,” MacKenzie said. “They’ll leave a great legacy of being a great teammate.”

Jaime Fox served as the captain of the team this year, and she lead the team in more ways than one. She is one of the best two-way defenders on the team and is a great leader in the locker room.

Fox is from Unionville, Ontario, and she has put together a great four-year career at UConn, tallying 44 points in 146 games played. She is having her best scoring season this year with five goals and five assists, and she also ranks second on the team with 52 blocked shots. Her younger sister Danielle is a freshman on the team.

Fox said that she has loved being a part of the UConn women’s hockey program over the past four years.

“It’s been the best ride, the best four years I could ever ask for,” she said. “The team’s amazing. I honestly couldn’t ask for anything else.”

Rebecca Lindblad is one of the alternate captains of the team and another key leader. A native of Winnetka, Illinois, she was named a National Strength and Conditioning All-American after the 2018 season. She has accumulated six points this season and 25 over her career at UConn.

She reflected on her time at UConn after the game.

“UConn is a super special place,” Lindblad said. “Not just because of the school but more importantly because of the people that surround us and made it such an awesome journey.”

Kayla Mee is another standout defender on the team. At six feet tall, she is the tallest member of the team and a towering presence on the ice. She’s had a bit of a down year this season scoring-wise with just one goal and two assists, but she has recorded 50 points in her four-year career, and more importantly, has been one of the team’s most consistent defensemen.

The senior from Stonewall, Manitoba, talked about what it was like to be honored pregame with her fellow seniors.

“It was great,” Mee said. “I’ve been with them since I was a freshman and we’re really just four sisters now.”

Finally, Nora Maclaine is the most local member of the senior class. She hails from Easton, Massachusetts and has played in 144 games over her time at UConn. She has scored a career-high two goals so far this season and has recorded five points to bring her UConn total to 14. She has also won 174 face-offs this season, good for third on the team.

Maclaine described her feelings as surreal while she was being honored before the game.

“You think when you’re a freshman this day is so far away and then it’s here before you know it,” she said. “I’ve been blessed to be here. It’s been exciting and it’s kind of sad that it’s coming to an end.”

Coach MacKenzie expressed his gratitude to these seniors for all they have given to the program and making it what it is today. He said that this group of seniors is going to graduate as the winningest class in nine years.

“They bought into our program when maybe it was just a vision of what it could be,” MacKenzie said. “There had been some real down years when they decided to commit here, so I’ll always appreciate that they took my word for it.”

However, “the winningest senior class in the last nine years” is not done yet. They will look to make another deep tournament run when they take on BC in the quarterfinals next weekend. There would be no better way for this senior class, which has transformed UConn into a Hockey East contender, to go out than to win a Hockey East Championship for the first time in history.

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu.