“Captain Marvel” had the potential to be amazing, and it almost succeeded

Almost a year after the shocking events of “Avengers: Infinity War,” Marvel Studios released it’s highly-anticipated 21st movie based on the character Captain Marvel. The movie, titled “Captain Marvel,” was a hot topic of conversation between Marvel movie and comic fans since the character’s appearance in the Avengers Universe was hinted at in the closing of the third “Avengers” film.

The film follows Vers (played by Brie Larson), a member of an elite group of alien warriors on a mission to expel an evil alien race called the Skrulls from different planets. After Vers and a handful of Skrulls crash land on Earth in the 1990s, Vers teams up with a younger and slightly less experienced Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) to find a woman that Vers sees in her memories. With a series of action packed events and numerous plot twists, Vers and Fury are on a race against the Skrulls to find the woman and figure out the meaning behind Vers’ strange, human-like memories.

Though I can not say much more about the film without giving away any big plot twists or character reveals, I can say that it was an entertaining watch. The movie was an action-packed, alien fighting Marvel film with its usual tongue-and-cheek comedy. Fury provided most of the comic relief, much to the audience’s surprise.

Larson seemed born to play the role of Vers. Though there were certain lines that were not delivered as well as they could have been, she acted most scenes with the extreme emotion needed to play her character. Personally, I am excited to see her contribution to “Avengers: Endgame” that comes out in April.

Two other noteworthy characters were Yon-Rogg (played by Jude Law) and a fan-favorite from “The Avengers,” Phil Coulson (played by Clark Gregg). There’s not much that I can say about these characters’ roles in the film because their contributions are vital to the plot and would be huge spoilers, but needless to say they both did an excellent job with their respective characters.

One character that Marvel fans had a lot to talk about when the trailer came out was a cat named Goose that was seen with Nick Fury. Unfortunately, I can’t say much about the cat either, but Goose did provide some comic relief in the scenes he was in.

Although this film was primarily an excellent adaptation of the comic, there were times when the film was rather slow in order to develop plot. This is not uncommon for an origin story, and they were able to make up for these slow scenes so that it was not too distracting to the rest of the film.

Rating: 4 out of 5

Calista Giroux is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at calista.giroux@gmail.com.