Juice WRLD is back with the sad boi bangers on his new album

If you’re looking for an album that you can both cry and get lit to, Juice WRLD’s new project is the one for you.

Juice WRLD is a Chicago rapper who gained mainstream recognition with his song “Lucid Dreams” in summer 2018, which peaked at number two on Billboard’s Hot 100 list.

His new album “Death Race For Love” definitely lives up to all of the hype that “Lucid Dreams” established for the 20-year-old rapper.

It is the perfect blend of pop-punk and trap, a subgenre he pioneered on SoundCloud along with other artists like Trippie Redd.

Juice mainly raps about being depressed because of failed relationships, fame and drugs as well as depression in general on this album.

Even in two songs where he talks about successful relationships, he still manages to make them sound depressing.

“When you're not here, can't sleep, can't breathe, can’t think/I can't seem to think of a world without we,” he sings on the song “Desire.”

Though these topics are standard for what Juice raps about, they can come off as cliche.

“HeMotions” is one of the many songs full of cheesy lines about love, relationships and drugs.

“Numb the pain, take these Percs to the mouth and the nose/I'm not a drug addict, got it all wrong/I'm just a love addict 'til my heart gone,” he sings.

However, his melodramatic angsty lyrics are a part of his appeal and make for great “in your feelings” music.

It is hard to reduce these themes to just being corny, despite how cliche the lyrics may come off as, because it is clear his music is just reflecting how he's feeling.

He’s being real in his music rather than trying to make his life seem glamorous, like many of his peers.

This melodrama and angst is paired with a very well fitting pop-punk styled way of sing-rapping, which can be compared to the likes of bands like Blink-182 and Neck Deep.

He uses the same vocal inflections and cadence that these singers use and implements the pop-punk yelling style of singing on songs such as “Robbery.”

Juice has fun with his delivery as well by slurring and putting on a country twang on “Flaws and Sins” for example. He mixes this with rapping in a very conventional hip-hop way. In this way, he is really honing in on all of these quirks of his style and shows that he is a master of it all.

Something Juice has not mastered, however, is curation. The album is a little over an hour long, which makes the listening experience drag on.

It doesn't feel like any of the songs on the album were filler or that he didn't put thought, feelings and work into any of them, but just that he wanted to showcase all of his growth in 22 songs.

Though all of the songs are well made, many of them sound too similar and since there are so many songs, most of them are very forgettable.

His beats are a big contributor to the similarity.

Though the production fits well, the beats mostly follow the same formula of an 808 drum beat, a snare, either a melancholy piano melody or acoustic guitar and the occasional synth.

It is not a bad thing to have a go-to production style, but just the fact that this style is so prevalent makes it difficult to let any one of the tracks shine.

However, there are some stand-out songs on this album. One of them is “Syphilis,” which was very loud, angry and high energy, a big contrast in comparison to the mostly down tempo, subdued songs on the album.

Another stand-out song was “Hear Me Calling,” which was also a single for the project.

Juice rapped over a dancehall beat on this song, which unexpectedly complimented his style very well. It was very refreshing to hear him rap over this beat in his own emo-trap style rather than putting on a Jamaican accent, which rappers such as Drake have done.

The interlude “Demonz” also stood out because of its difference in genre.

Though Juice isn’t present on the song, R&B singer Brent Faiyaz provides a nice change of pace and complemented the project well.

Rapper Young Thug was also featured on the song “ON GOD.”

Placing this song at number 17 on the tracklist made the feature a lot less exciting because at around song ten, you want the album to be over already.

“Death Race For Love” is excruciatingly long but the charisma, passion and growth Juice showcases on this album almost makes up for it. Almost.

Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

Gladi Suero is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gladi.suero@uconn.edu.