A taste of Brooklyn in the heart of Manhattan

Junior’s Bakery in New York City (foodpunk.com)

As tourists emerge from the subway station, they see a bakery with flashing red lights and a sign that reads “Brooklyn, NY.” Their eyes dart around as they worry they got off at the wrong stop.  

Junior’s Restaurant, located on the corner of Broadway and 45th Street in Times Square, opened this location in 2006 and takes pride in their full selection of coffee, cakes and pastries.  

The sign was transferred to the current location after Junior’s Restaurant was moved from Flatbush Avenue in Brooklyn, the founder’s grandson, Alan Rosen, told the New York Times.  

The bakery is also home to the “World’s Most Fabulous Cheesecake,” according to its website.  

“The recipe hasn’t changed in 64 years, and I’m not going to be the guy to change it,” Rosen told the New York Times.  

One special ingredient in that recipe is Philadelphia cream cheese, which has been a staple since the bakery opened.  

The recipe hasn’t changed in 64 years, and I’m not going to be the guy to change it
— Alan Rosen

The world-famous recipe has attracted big names, including P. Diddy, who shot a music video in front of the original bakery, and a Kuwaiti prince who once flew several cheesecakes home on his private jet.  

Julia Messaros and her daughter Emily were in the city seeing a Broadway show and had to stop at Junior’s Restaurant before heading home to Orwigsburg, Pennsylvania. 

“I have just been dreaming about this cheesecake,” Messaros said. “It wouldn’t be a trip to the city without a stop at Junior’s Restaurant.”  

Ashley Anglisano is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.