3 cocktails for St. Paddy’s Day

Remember to drink responsibly and enjoy your St. Patrick’s Day! (Photo via pngtree.com)

St. Patrick’s Day is right around the corner on March 17. We all know, even if you aren’t Irish, St. Patrick’s Day is all about celebrating the green and orange. Along with sporting all the green in your closet and a ghastly amount of shamrocks, drinking is a necessity this weekend. Since it’s 2019, let’s try and be a little more exciting with our drinks than the typical pint of Guinness or plain Baileys. Whether you’re going to a parade, the bar or a house party, here are some festive drinks that will have you feeling as lucky as the Irish this weekend.

Pot o’ Gold Shots

Jell-O shots are a time-honored staple of any party that involves alcohol, and St. Patrick’s Day is no different. These shots are cute and have a little more kick to them than the typical vodka-infused Jell-O shot, plus there’s a ton of sweetness to counteract the bite.

Ingredients:

1 (3.4-oz) package lemon or pineapple Jell-O

1/2 cup cold whiskey

1 cup Cool Whip

Gold sprinkles

6 rainbow candy belts, cut into 2-inch pieces

Start by boiling one cup of water in a small saucepan. Add the Jell-O mix and stir until fully dissolved. Take the liquid off the heat and stir in the whiskey and another cup of water. Fill 16 plastic shot-glasses about ⅔ of the way with the liquid, then move to the fridge to set for two hours. After removing the shots from the fridge, top with a spoonful of Cool Whip and add the gold sprinkles. Place the rainbow candy on top, forming a semi-circle that looks like a rainbow on a cloud, and serve.

The Shamrock Sour

We all know and love the classic whiskey sour. But everything is more fun when it’s lime green and has a shamrock in it. And no, the shamrock is not optional.

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons lime juice

½ tablespoon lemon juice

¼ cup simple syrup

2 ounces Irish whiskey

1 tiny drop of green food coloring

lime wedges for garnish

Combine all ingredients and shake well. Pour over ice. Garnish with a lime wedge and a shamrock stirrer.

Irish Mint Mojitos

Using Irish whiskey is uncommon in a mojito, but it adds a deeper, more complex note to this cocktail. The mojito feels a little classier than a glass of green beer, and is so easy to make.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup water

1/4 cup mint leaves

4 lime wedges

4 oz Irish whiskey

crushed ice

splash of tonic water or ginger ale

lime for garnish

Place mint leaves, lime wedges and simple syrup in a cocktail shaker and muddle with a wooden spoon. Add Irish whiskey and fill the shaker with ice. Shake vigorously for 30 seconds and pour into glasses. Top with a splash of the tonic or ginger ale and garnish with lime.

Remember to drink responsibly and enjoy your St. Patrick’s Day!

“Thirsty Thursday is created by of-age students in the Daily Campus Life section. Recommendations can be sent to life@dailycampus.com. We will respond if sober.”