Talking Soccer: Ronaldo comes up clutch

Juventus' Cristiano Ronaldo reacts in front of Atletico fans at the end of the Champions League round of 16, 2nd leg, soccer match between Juventus and Atletico Madrid at the Allianz stadium in Turin, Italy, Tuesday, March 12, 2019. (AP Photo/Luca Bruno)

Champions League

Cristiano Ronaldo notched a huge second-leg hat trick to lead Juventus past Atletico Madrid 3-0 at the Allianz on Tuesday. After Juventus lost the opening leg at Atletico 2-0, Ronaldo, the all-time Champions League leading scorer, came in clutch once again in his first season with the Old Lady. Juventus advances to the quarterfinals thanks to a 3-2 aggregate lead.

Sergio Aguero struck twice in the first half and five other Manchester City players scored as the English side thrashed Schalke 7-0 on Tuesday. After winning the first leg 3-2 at Schalke, Manchester City took a three goal lead heading into halftime at the Etihad and never looked back as they ran away with a 10-2 aggregate victory to book a spot in the quarterfinals.

Liverpool became the second English side to earn a place in the quarterfinals after picking up a 3-1 victory over German powerhouse Bayern Munich at the Allianz Arena on Wednesday. Liverpool’s two most in-form players, forward Sadio Mane and defender Virgil van Dijk were instrumental in the second-leg win. Mane scored a goal in each half and van Dijk headed home off a corner in the 69th minute to lead the Reds to triumph after the teams tied 0-0 in the first leg at Anfield.

FC Barcelona continued their dominant season with a 5-1 beat down of Olympique Lyon at Camp Nou on Wednesday. Leo Messi struck twice, Philippe Coutinho added a first half goal, and both Gerard Pique and Ousmane Dembele scored after the 80th minute to ice the game for Barcelona. The Spanish side drew 0-0 at Lyon in the first leg, but advanced 5-1 to the quarterfinals on aggregate and continue their quest for the treble. Barcelona hold a seven point lead at the top of La Liga and will play in the Copa Del Rey final in May.

English Premier League

Granat Xhaka’s early long-range strike and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's second-half penalty goal propelled Arsenal to a massive 2-0 win over Manchester United at the Emirates on Sunday. The victory allowed the Gunners to overtake United for fourth place in the standings, while the Red Devils fell to fifth.

Manchester City remains a single point ahead of Liverpool at the top of the league after each side picked up wins this weekend. Raheem Sterling recorded a remarkable 13-minute hat trick in the second half (46’, 50’, 59’) as Manchester City defeated eighth-place Watford 3-1 at home Saturday. Liverpool were able to keep pace as Sadio Mane and Roberto Firmino each scored twice to help Liverpool overcome an early 1-0 deficit at Anfield as the Reds pulled away from lowly Burnley 4-2 on Sunday.

Southampton pulled off a massive 2-1 upset victory over third-place Tottenham at St. Mary’s Stadium on Saturday. Yan Valery leveled the score in the 76th minute for Southampton before James Ward-Prowse hit a stunning free kick to earn the Saints a victory which brought them out of the relegation zone. Tottenham’s lead over fourth-place Arsenal dropped to a single point.

Chelsea salvaged a late 1-1 draw against seventh-place Wolverhampton at Stamford Bridge on Sunday. The sixth-place Blues had the vast majority of possession and scoring chances, but were only able to earn a point after Eden Hazard’s superb low-driven shot from outside the box canceled out Raul Jimenez’s 56th minute counter attacking goal. Chelsea trails fourth place Arsenal by three points yet have a game in hand.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.