Men’s Tennis to take on UAB, Florida Atlantic

UConn Tennis. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

While many students will be flocking to Florida this weekend as spring break kicks off, the UConn men’s tennis team will have business to attend to in Boca Raton, West Palm Beach and Coral Gables. The Huskies are slated to take on UAB on Friday, Florida Atlantic on Saturday and both Palm Beach Atlantic and University of Miami on Sunday.

The team will hope to overcome a pair of losses from last weekend. Friday, UConn was swept by American Conference opponent Temple 7-0. Freshman Yili Zheng and senior Justin Warren were able to force a third set in their matches after dropping the opening set, but neither player was able to pull out a win as the Huskies were dominated in singles play.

UConn put up a much better fight against Delaware the following day, but fell in a tight match 4-3. The Huskies opened the match by winning the doubles point for the fourth time in five matches. Senior Jack McLister and sophomore John Michael Holtmann rolled to a 6-0 win at second doubles while Warren and freshman Christian Provenzano picked up a 6-4 victory at third doubles to clinch the opening point.

In singles action, Zheng (No. 1 singles) and senior Hank Hill (No. 3 singles) each lost in straight sets as UConn quickly fell behind. The Huskies responded as McLister (No. 4 singles) and Warren (No. 5 singles) grinded out three-set victories, but ultimately Holtmann (No. 2 singles) and Provenzano (No. 6) were not able to hold as each player was bested in three-sets after winning the opening set and the team lost its second straight match of the weekend.

This Friday’s opponent, UAB is in the midst of a three match winning streak and currently hold a 7-5 record. The Blazers top doubles team Roman Postolka and Michal Lusovsky are ranked No. 47 in the nation and will give the Huskies team of Zheng and Hill a difficult challenge. The match is slated for 12 p.m.

UConn will take on another team in the midst of a winning streak in the form of Florida Atlantic on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. The Owls have won four straight and are 12-7 on the season. Florida Atlantic’s top player Jason Segall is fresh off being named conference USA athlete of the week and has been dominant at both first singles and first doubles all season.

The Huskies will make the trek to West Palm Beach to take on 10-1 Palm Beach Atlantic on Sunday at 1 p.m. The team will have a quick turnaround as they are set to travel to Coral Gables to take on ACC squad Miami at 6pm. The Hurricanes are winners of three straight matches and hold an 11-4 record.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.