Roundtable: UCONNIC performer predictions/who you would like to see

R&B singer Khalid’s live show is an experience in and of itself. The singer is accompanied by a live band as opposed to a backing track, allowing him to change his songs up. (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

Hollianne Lao, Staff Writer 

My sister had the amazing honor of taking photos of Khalid at last year’s UCONNIC. So, needless to say, I’m excited to hear who will headlining the show this year. The music I listen to is fairly popular, but probably doesn’t cater to the majority of the student body here, so I’ll most likely be talking about artists I want to see over realistic predictions. But a girl can still hope! 

I like alternative music, which is not exactly the genre people choose to get lit to, but I don’t care because they’re all talented and are sure to put on a great show. Having seen two of them live already, I would love to see The 1975, Vance Joy, Lorde, Walk the Moon, LANY, Panic! At the Disco or Coldplay. They all have enough niche fans to have a fun time singing along with. There’s not really one song in their discography that I don’t like. 

More in the pop realm, I think that it would be amazing to have Shawn Mendes, Taylor Swift or Ariana Grande. Unfortunately, they’re probably way out of our price range. I know for sure though that they would put on an amazing show – I can say for a fact that Taylor Swift’s shows are legendary. I know not everyone is a fan, but I don’t care.  

I would be a terrible fan if I didn’t at least mention the Jonas Brothers after their surprise reunion. What I actually have in mind would be a UCONNIC with all the old Disney stars: Not just the Jo Bros, but also Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, the cast of High School Musical and the dark horse, Lemonade Mouth! It’s probably not in our budget to get all of them, but any number of them would appease my nostalgic heart. I feel like they and their music have grown with us, so we could have some of their fun bangers as well as sentimental throwbacks.  

Either way, I hope SUBOG pulls off a good event and at least has an artist I’ve heard of and know a few songs to. It’ll be a fun time as long as I go with my friends.  

Gladi Suero, Campus Correspondent 

As a freshman, I didn’t experience last year’s UCCONIC. But, from what I've heard about it,  I hope this year’s lives up to the hype. 

I hope and expect to see someone like Aminé because he has great music along with a few popular singles, so it would be a great experience for both music lovers and casual fans. Aminé is also pretty relevant right now since he just released an album a couple of months ago.  

I also expect to see a “Lil” someone, just because they seem to dominate music right now. Even if they didn't have “Lil” in their name I’d expect an artist whose roots are in the same SoundCloud-trap genre such as Smokepurpp or Famous Dex. 

I would really love to see two headliners that are in stark contrast, since last year’s headliners, Khalid and Tory Lanez, were basically in the same R&B bubble. Seeing a trap or hip-hop artists with an indie-pop singer would be so interesting to see, especially for someone like me who listens to all kinds of music. 

Of course the list of my dream acts is pretty much endless and some might be a little unrealistic but whether the acts are someone I love or hate, I am still looking forward to seeing who will be performing.  

Madison Appleby, Campus Correspondent 

Cardi B seems like a fan-favorite to headline this year’s UCONNIC festival. (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File)

I have not experienced UCONNIC myself but I sure hope it lives up to the excitement surrounding the event. Students online have been anxiously awaiting the announcement of UCONNIC for this spring, myself included.  

As someone who loves a variety of music genres I hope they pick bands that aren’t too similar to one another. For example, I’d love to see a hip hop artist and an indie pop artist.   

I think it’d be interesting to see someone like Cardi B or even Kehlani paired with someone of the opposite genre like The 1975 or LANY. I hope to see some diversity in the show because that would draw in the most people. 

Jordi Castelli, Campus Correspondent 

While there are a plethora of artists that I would be more than pleased to see at UCONNIC this spring, my ultimate favorite would have to be Cardi B. I will admit I am not a fan of all of Cardi B’s music, rather it is more the energy that she exerts that draws me into not only her music, but more so her character.  

Cardi B is the perfect example of how your beginnings in life don’t determine your future. Her struggles and past experiences didn’t once hold her back from achieving her dreams. No matter the hateful words people spew at her out of jealousy or simply not believing in her, she refused to give up hope on becoming a national phenomenon. Cardi is the “first female rapper to have three number one hits on Billboard Hot 100 chart,” according to Bustle. She has collaborated with numerous accomplished artists, including Nicki Minaj, Bruno Mars and Migos. While  all of these names are mainstream and current in today’s music industry, it does not negate from their massive impact on society. Despite having a baby, going through a scandal with her husband (Offset) and a major feud with Nicki Minaj, Cardi has remained poised and professional. 

Whether you’re getting ready for a girls night out, jamming out in the shower or walking to class, blasting Cardi B’s music through your headphones will certainly leave you in a better mood than before.