Women’s Lacrosse: UConn set for Saturday game against Columbia

The women's lacrosse team won 10-9 against the University of Albany. Their next home game will be against Columbia on Saturday March 16. (Photo by Nicholas Hampton/The Daily Campus)

While the rest of the UConn community will be heading home for break, the women’s lacrosse team will be welcoming an Ivy League opponent to Storrs.

Fresh off their first win of the season, the Huskies (1-5) will face off with the Columbia Lions (2-5) on Saturday morning at 11:30 a.m. at the Sherman Family Complex.

These two teams have not met since the 2012 season, when UConn won 14-13 in overtime. The Huskies lead the all-time series 2-1.

After starting the season 0-5, UConn picked up their first win on Wednesday against Albany 10-9. It wasn’t pretty, as they almost blew a 9-3 second-half lead, but the defense stepped up when it needed to and they were able to hold on.

Senior captain Caitlin Leary spoke after the win on Wednesday about how the team would carry that momentum into their next game.

“Going into practice tomorrow, we’re all still going to be pumped,” Leary said. “We’ll just work that much harder to get the win on Saturday and then hopefully the rest of the season too.”

For the Lions, it has been almost the opposite story. They started the season 2-1 but have dropped four straight games since then, including a heartbreaker to Cornell on Saturday at home. In that game, they held a one-goal lead with 20 minutes left, but they surrendered four straight goals and lost 12-9.

Leading the way for the Huskies all season has been sophomore midfielder Sydney Watson. She has recorded a hat trick in each of her last four games, and she leads the team in most categories, including goals (16) and assists (5). Leary has also had a great year so far with 10 points.

For the Lions, it has been the duo of senior Lindsey Ewertsen and sophomore Alexandria Absey that have been responsible for most of their points. Ewertsen leads the team with 24 points and 11 assists while Absey leads the team in goals with 14.

This will be the first of three games that the Huskies will play during the week-long spring break.

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu .