Storrs Stories: UConn Torrington

The branch served many freshman and sophomore programs, and students could transfer to the Storrs campus or another university after their sophomore year. (Photo provided by writer)

It was announced in early March 1957 that the University of Connecticut would have a Torrington branch starting that fall.

The branch served many freshman and sophomore programs, and students could transfer to the Storrs campus or another university after their sophomore year.

The university had planned eventually to offer the first and second years of the arts and sciences classes in the School of Engineering and Business Administration at the Torrington branch.

Classroom and laboratory facilities of Torrington High School would be used for instruction.

The UConn Torrington branch closed at the end of the 2016 spring semester due to low enrollment.

In its final semester, the UConn Torrington branch had 136 students, 88 of them being full time, according to UConn Today.

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.