Former UConn star Khalid El-Amin taken into custody, released on Monday

Former Connecticut head coach Jim Calhoun, left, presents former player Khalid El-Amin with a plaque during a special halftime ceremony honoring the 1999 national championship team during an NCAA college basketball game between Connecticut and Cincinnati, Sunday, Feb. 24, 2019, in Hartford, Conn. (AP Photo/Jessica Hill)

UConn men’s basketball great Khalid El-Amin was taken into custody Sunday night in Hartford for failure to pay child support. On Monday morning, El-Amin was released after paying $10,000 of the approximate $126,000 he owes, along with agreeing to a future payment schedule.

El-Amin reportedly owes approximately $126,000 in child support to a Hartford area woman with whom he has an 18-year-old daughter. In addition to the $10,000 payment, El-Amin has agreed to pay $780 per month, unless the figure is reduced upon evidence of previous payments.

El-Amin, 39, has seven children between the ages of nine and 20. His eldest, Ishmael, currently plays D-1 basketball at Ball State, averaging 6.7 points per game.

The news comes just a day after the jersey retirement ceremony of UConn legend Ray Allen, who became the first player in program history to have his number retired. Like Allen, El-Amin’s jersey is also in the Gampel rafters, being one of 21 members of the men’s basketball Huskies of Honor. He was inducted in 2014.

El-Amin lives in Minnesota, but was in Connecticut last weekend to celebrate the 20th anniversary of UConn’s 1999 men’s basketball championship. He had missed two previous court dates and therefore an order was issued to take him into custody once he entered the state.

A flashy point guard with an even flashier personality, El-Amin scored the game-winning points of the 1999 championship, the first national championship in program history. He was named the Big East Rookie of the Year the season prior after averaging 16 points per game as a freshman.

Following a junior year in which he led the team in points (16) and assists (4.4), El-Amin elected to leave UConn for the NBA. He was drafted in the second round of the 2000 Draft by the Chicago Bulls, and after a brief NBA career, played overseas for 15 years.

Andrew Morrison is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu. He tweets at @asmor24