Women’s basketball to host season celebration next week

The fifth-annual event will highlight the many accomplishments of the UConn women’s basketball team. Photo by Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s basketball team had another unforgettable season that ended in the Final Four against Notre Dame. The Huskies, along with head coach Geno Auriemma, will host a celebration on Tuesday, April 16, which is open to the public.

Senior Napheesa Collier reiterated many times throughout the season how important the fans are to the UConn women’s basketball program.

“We've been saying since day one when we got here, we have the best fans in the country,” Collier said before the NCAA regional game against Louisville. “So we know there's going to be a lot of people [on March 31]. And as you said, it's going to be mostly UConn fans, so just having their energy and all the stuff that they bring is really a confidence and energy boost for us.”

The event will take place in the Werth Family UConn Basketball Champions Center from 6:30 p.m. to 9 p.m. For the fifth straight year, fans, students and alumni will be able to meet the coaches and student athletes, as well as listen to Auriemma’s reflection of the team’s season and watch special video clips highlighting the team’s progress on the court.

All those in attendance will be able to walk through the brand new Hall of Champions within the facility.

There will be assorted hors d'oeuvres, desserts and a cash bar, priced at $75 per guest. Photography, filming and video recording are all permitted, but autographs are not.

Parking will be discounted to $5 from 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. in the South Garage, near the Werth Family UConn Basketball Champions Center.

Tickets are limited, but you can RSVP through the link until 5 p.m. on April 16.

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.