All eyes on England’s top clubs in PL Race, UEFA CL

Liverpool's Naby Keita celebrates with Roberto Firmino, left, after scoring the opening goal during the Champions League quarterfinal, first leg, soccer match between Liverpool and FC Porto at Anfield Stadium, Liverpool, England, Tuesday April 9, 2019. (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)

Champions League:

Midfielder Naby Keita scored an early fifth-minute deflected goal and Roberto Firmino tapped home a short cross 20 minutes later as Liverpool pulled past FC Porto 2-0 in the first leg of the two sides quarterfinal matchup at Anfield on Tuesday. The second leg will be played on April 17 at Estadio de Dragao in Porto.

For the second straight match, forward Heung-min Son has scored to lead Tottenham to victory in their new home, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium. On Tuesday, Son saved a ball from going out and whipped home a low shot in the 78th minute to lead Spurs to a 1-0 opening leg win over fellow Premier League foe Manchester City. Tottenham held a 13-10 advantage in shots, yet Manchester City held 59 percent of possession and had a chance to take an early lead from the penalty spot, but striker Sergio Aguero was stoned by Spurs goalkeeper Hugo Lloris. Manchester City will host the second leg on April 17.

Barcelona earned a crucial 1-0 away victory against Manchester United at Old Trafford on Wednesday in the first leg. United defender Luke Shaw deflected a Luis Suarez header into his own net in the 12th minute of a game in which the hosts failed to record a single shot on target. Barcelona held nearly 70% possession and will likely look to close out the Red Devils with a similar passing-heavy approach when they host the second leg at Camp Nou on April 16th.

Cristiano Ronaldo’s 125th Champions League goal was cancelled out by David Neres’ curler immediately after halftime as host Ajax held Juventus to a 1-1 draw in the first leg on Wednesday. Ronaldo scored a brilliant diving header in the 45th minute just before halftime to give Juventus the lead, but Neres pulled Ajax level right after the halftime break as he intercepted a ball in the attacking half, made a solo run down the left sideline and finished with a curled shot past a diving Wojciech Szczesny. The second leg will be played at the Allianz Stadium on April 16.

Premier League

Liverpool overcame an early deficit at St. Mary’s Stadium on Friday against lowly Southampton to pull out a 3-1 win that pushed them back to the top of the table. Forward Shane Long gave Southampton the lead off a cross with a ninth-minute goal, but Naby Keita headed in a deep ball from defender Trent Alexander-Arnold just before halftime to pull Liverpool level thanks to a missed offsides call on forward Mo Salah on the play. Salah gave the reds the lead with a long solo dribbling run on the counterattack, which he finished into the bottom right corner in the 80th minute. Captain Jordan Henderson doubled Liverpool’s lead in the 86th minute to ensure all three points.

Veteran defender Phil Jagielka headed home a 10th minute corner kick goal and Everton held on to a 1-0 upset win over Arsenal at Goodison Park on Sunday. Although Arsenal controlled the majority of possession, Everton outshot the Gunners 23-7 and had far more scoring chances. The win pulled Everton into a tie for 9th place in what has been somewhat of a disappointing campaign while Arsenal now sits fifth, just a point behind fourth place Tottenham.

Chelsea pulled into third place for the first time since December with a 2-0 win against West Ham at Stamford Bridge on Monday thanks to Eden Hazard’s brace. The Belgian forward gave Chelsea the lead in the 24th minute with one of his finest ever goals as he single-handedly beat five West Ham defenders with the ball at his feet before driving a shot home to the bottom right corner. Chelsea outshot West Ham 16-7 and allowed numerous scoring chances to go unfinished throughout the second half until the red-hot Hazard provided an insurance goal in the 90th minute with a well struck half-volley from a Ross Barkley cross.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.