‘It wasn’t said until now, which is a letdown’ Students disappointed at Kingston cancellation

UCONNIC Music Festival.

University of Connecticut students are disappointed after Sean Kingston, the opening act of UCONNIC, was officially pulled under an hour before the doors opened.

Jack Aaron, a fourth-semester computer science major, said the rumors started earlier on Thursday and he wished an announcement was made sooner.

“People knew at around [noon] and it wasn’t said until now, which is a letdown,” Aaron said. “It’s definitely disappointing for UCONNIC in general. I was excited originally, but after hearing about his bad past, I understood why they canceled; he is a bad person.”

On Thursday at 2:30 p.m., both SUBOG and @uconnicmusicfest posted on their Instagram stories that they were “well aware of the issues surrounding one of our performers tonight.” It went on to say they were working to release an official statement.

At around 5 p.m., the Daily Campus released a story saying “Sean Kingston’s UCONNIC Music Festival performance has been canceled.”

SUBOG released their statement at around 5:15 p.m. saying that “they stand and believe survivors of sexual assault, and condemn those who do not support survivors of sexual assault.”

RJ Silverio, a second-semester psychology major, said he understands why it took so long for SUBOG to release their statement.

“Maybe earlier notice would be better,” Silverio said. “On SUBOG, it’s hard to be under pressure [so] I cut them some slack.”

Abby Valentin, a second-semester nursing major, said she is glad Kingston was pulled, no matter the timing.

“I’m just happy because we are not supporting someone like that,” Valentin said.

On Tuesday, WHUS canceled their planned collaboration with SUBOG after students expressed anger towards the booking of Kingston due to allegations of sexual assault.

Alyssa Michaud, a second-semester nursing major, said she was surprised Kingston was part of the lineup in the beginning.

“It’s interesting that we had the founder of #metoo and now Sean Kingston,” Michaud said.

Summer Walker disappeared from the lineup while the show started due to inclement weather impeding travel, according to her Instagram. The lineup became the two student openers, Kids who Fly and HVN, and Lil Baby.

Aditi Dubey, a second-semester mechanical engineering major, said she is not pleased that Summer Walker was no longer going to perform.

“Now that even Summer Walker is not coming, I feel like there won’t be any diversity at all at this year’s UCONNIC,” Dubey said.


Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.