UConn in the MLB: Huskies have an up-and-down start to the season

Houston Astros' Carlos Correa (1), George Springer (4), and Jake Marisnick celebrate after the team beat the Seattle Mariners in a baseball game Sunday, April 14, 2019, in Seattle. The Astros won 3-2. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

The 2019 season is in full swing. After just over two and a half weeks, we’ve already seen some surprise upsets and big-time collapses (Red Sox, what are you doing?). One thing that has remained constant is the alumni who have continued to perform for their teams despite not having the best record. Let’s check in and see how the Huskies performed over the past week.

George Springer, Houston Astros:

Springer and the Astros have been one of the few bright spots when it's come to alumni success. Although the former World Series MVP has been in a bit of a slump of late, his team has been one of the hottest in the league, winning nine of their last 10 games and sitting at No. 3 in the American League at 11-5. Springer is only hitting .208 over the last week, but since he got off to a hot start, his season average is still a solid .266, right around his average from last season. He’s also added five RBI in his last five games, bringing his season total to 12, and hit his fourth homer of the season in a strong performance against the Mariners.

Matt Barnes, Boston Red Sox:

Barnes has been the only positive in an otherwise dreadful opening to the season for the Red Sox. Over his past four games, Barnes has thrown four innings, allowing just two hits and one run while striking out eight. Despite Barnes’ success, the rest of the team has left plenty to be desired. The offense’s batting average of .241 ranks in the bottom half of the league, as do their total RBI and OBP. Their starting rotation hasn’t been much better, as they rank in the bottom three in the league with an ERA of 5.80. Barnes has had early success as the next man up in Boston, but his team cannot say the same and look flat-out ugly, sitting at No. 4 in the AL East.

Nick Ahmed, Arizona Diamondbacks:

Ahmed is known for flashing the leather and further solidified himself as a top fielder by winning the NL Golden Glove last season, ending a three-year streak of Brandon Crawford winning the award. But so far in the season, Ahmed has been stepping up on the offensive side as well. He’s currently hitting .290, which would be the highest by far of his career, and has driven in eight runs. The team on the other hand, is struggling as expected, as they currently sit at 7-9, placing them at No. 3 in the NL West behind the Padres and Dodgers.

Scott Oberg, Colorado Rockies:

Oberg has turned his season around over the past week. After a shaky start during which he let up one run, three hits and walked three batters, he has fixed whatever wasn’t working and has thrown four perfect innings while striking out five in his last two games. Oberg is coming off the best season of his career with the Rockies and will look to build off of that going into this year. He currently has a 1.35 ERA and is hovering around one strikeout per inning pitched, having now thrown seven through six and two-thirds innings. The Rockies are getting the help they need from their top relief pitcher, but they still sit in last place in their division at 4-12 and are going to need more than just Oberg to step up if they hope to reach the playoffs again.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at conner.gilson@uconn.edu.