Lacrosse Notebook: Seniors say goodbye to home crowd

The Women's Lacrosse team celebrated their Senior Day today with 7 seniors on the team, but took a tough loss afterwards with a final score of 5-16. (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The Huskies started off senior day with the introductions of each senior alongside their families that accompanied them on the field. Emotions filled the air as the families cried tears of joy, celebrating the accomplishments of each senior acknowledged. 

Dani Dunn told UConn athletics, “these last four years have been a really exciting experience. It’s been a lot of highs and lows and a lot of learning experiences … but we’re really excited to put it all together and turn this season around for the last couple of games.”  

The Huskies didn’t finish off senior day with a fairy tale ending, yet each senior was able to step onto the field and take part in their final game at the George J. Family Sports Complex. Lexi Kenneally was the only senior of the seven that managed to put a point on the board with her first and only goal unassisted late in the first half. Each senior however gave their best effort, despite the turnout. Olivia Eigel, who we haven’t seen much of, came out and gave it her all on the field putting up two shots on the goal and getting a chance at a free position shot. Kiera Dalmass decided to contribute more on the defensive end, picking up two ground balls and assisting her team in making plays happen.  

“What I’ve learned about what it takes to be an effective leader is taking punches and rolling with them,” said Kiera Dalmass to UConn athletics. “Whether they’re good or not keep your head up and make sure that everybody else below you is keeping their heads up and sometimes you have to make some confrontation even though you don’t want to but it’s all in good faith.” 

Being a leader as Kiera Dalmass and the rest of the seniors have been has meant continuing a tough season with a positive mindset each game, regardless of their record or the outcome of the previous matchup. The Huskies lost to the University of Florida 16-5, yet at no point did they stop giving it their all. 

It’s apparent that the Huskies have grown to be more than just a team, but more like a family. 

“It feels really nice I mean having 30 girls that girls that you can count on no matter what’s happening throughout your day whether it’s school or lacrosse is just a really nice feeling and is really comforting,” Caitlin Leary told UConn athletics. 

The Huskies will be sending their seniors off into the real world after this season, where they will be taking on adult tasks, whether it’s pursuing grad school or an actual job. They are sure to make an impact as they have within this lacrosse team. 

Hanaisha Lewis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hanaisha.lewis@uconn.edu.