Talking Soccer: Nightmare week for Man U

Manchester United's Marcus Rashford, center, challenges Manchester City goalkeeper Ederson, right, during the English Premier League soccer match between Manchester United and Manchester City at Old Trafford Stadium in Manchester, England, Wednesday April 24, 2019. (AP Photo/Jon Super)

Premier League

Manchester City regained their lead at the top of the table with a massive 2-0 victory at Old Trafford on Wednesday against cross-town rival Manchester United. Midfielder Bernardo Silva cut inside onto his left foot and drove home a low near-post shot in the 54th minute to open the scoring for the defending champs. Twelve minutes later, winger Leroy Sane doubled City’s lead as he finished off a counterattack. City have now won 11 straight premier league matches as they’re title race with Liverpool has come down to the wire, while United have now lost two straight matches and will face an uphill battle to finish in the top four.

Wolverhampton pulled off a critical 3-1 upset over Arsenal at Molineux Stadium on Wednesday. Ruben Neves opened the scoring for Wolves with a stunning free kick in the 28th minute before Matt Doherty and Diogo Jota also scored first half goals to lead seventh place Wolves over the Gunners. Arsenal’s only consolation was a late Sokratis Papastathopoulos headed goal as the Gunners blew a chance to overtake Chelsea in fourth place.

Midfielder Christian Eriksen’s late winner guided Tottenham to a 1-0 win at home over lowly Brighton on Tuesday. The Spurs failed to convert on a handful of scoring chances and massive amounts of possession throughout the game until the Danish midfielder pounded home a low shot in the 88th minute from well outside the box. The win kept Tottenham third in the table and allowed them to hold off the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal.

Chelsea failed to capitalize on a chance to close the gap on Tottenham in the standings and settled for a 2-2 draw with Burnley on Monday at Stamford Bridge. Jeff Hendrick gave Burnley an early lead with a stunning volley from outside the box off of a corner kick in the eighth minute. Chelsea responded and took a lead of its own as midfielder N’Golo Kante finished off a short-grounded cross into the middle of the box from Eden Hazard in the 12th minute, then striker Gonzalo Higuain blasted in a tough angle shot from the right side of the goal two minutes later. Ashley Barnes pulled Burnley level with a wide open header from a free kick in the 24th minute, and Burnley held Chelsea at bay for the entirety of the second half.

Liverpool earned a 2-0 win at relegated Cardiff City on Sunday to pull themselves atop the table briefly. Midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum ripped in a shot off a corner kick in the 57th minute to give Liverpool the lead and substitute James Milner converted an 81st minute penalty to ensure all three points for the Reds.

Ligue 1

PSG claimed the Ligue 1 title for the sixth time in seven seasons with a 3-1 triumph over Monaco at the Parc des Princes on Sunday. Kylian Mbappe recorded a hat trick for PSG that finally allowed them to clinch the title after they failed to secure a win in any of their previous three matches.

German Bundesliga

Bayern Munich currently sit at the top of the Bundesliga with a one point lead over Borussia Dortmund. Bayern are unbeaten in their last 19 league matches and thrashed Dortmund 5-0 earlier this month to take the lead atop the table.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.