UCTV general manager: Sam Huang

UCTV’s next general manager will be Sam Huang, fourth-semester computer science and management information systems double major. (Photo supplied via writer)

UCTV’s next general manager will be Sam Huang, fourth-semester computer science and management information systems double major, who currently serves as the organization’s finance manager.

Huang said he joined the UCTV advertising department during the spring semester of his freshman year after some of his friends had encouraged him to join.

“I had a few friends involved who had graduated, and they loved their experience,” Huang said.

He was chosen to be assistant general-manager last fall, and then became finance manager this semester, he said.

UCTV is UConn’s student-run television station that broadcasts over cable and on YouTube and provides live streams of various UConn events, Huang said. Its departments are advertising, news, sports, entertainment, UCFilm, UCSPAN and UCTV Live.

“Our mission is to provide all of our undergraduate students at Storrs with a source of news, entertainment and things going on on campus,” Huang said.

Huang said he is proud of the several initiatives that UCTV has pursued over the last year, including creating new content and coming up with new ways of making it accessible.

“We also introduced a lot of new technology, including a lot of professional live-streaming, for coverage of a lot of events on campus,” Huang said. “(We’re hoping to) incorporate a lot of that to build UCTV as a whole.”

Huang said his main goals as incoming general manager are to build off of those initiatives and to introduce new ones.

“Over the past year, we’ve had a lot of positive changes, a lot of new initiatives going on. And now with the incoming board, we have a lot of new ideas (and) a lot of new perspectives as well,” Huang said. “I’m really excited about the new board. I really think we’ll be able to make UCTV the best it can be.”

Other incoming executive board members are incoming finance manager Anna Wang, incoming operations manager Anthony Marrone and incoming assistant general manager Sophia Pelletier.

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a senior staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.