Storrs Center Bliss location officially closed

Storrs center. (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Clothing thrift shop Bliss officially closed its Storrs Center location on March 31 after over three years of operation in Mansfield.

Bliss owner Kim Cash said at the end of January that she gave the owners of Storrs Center a two month notice that she would be closing the store, after having sent multiple emails to the Storrs Center management company asking for rent relief and a solution to her declining customer numbers.

“I started emailing the management company that runs my phase of things. I contacted the owner, never heard back. I sent emails to the town, never heard back,” Cash said. “I gave them notice, asked for rent relief, asked if there was anything I could do, and I got nothing, except they turned me over to their attorneys.”

Cash said she closed in part because the climate in Storrs Center is “not healthy.”

“As the businesses have left, it’s just been terrible,” Cash said. “And when Amazon left, that’s when I said, ‘Oh my gosh, this is not going to be good.’”

Cash said people have privately reached out to her to tell her that they thought her leaving Storrs Center was a good decision.

“People who have either emailed me or private messaged me have said, ‘Good for you, I’m so glad you got out of there,’” Cash said. “I can’t believe how many people have said it.”

Cash’s first Bliss location in Willimantic still remains, she said, and business has been steady. All of the merchandise from the Storrs Center location has been moved to that store.

“We did move to another spot, it’s called Bliss Marketplace, but yeah, Bliss is in there,” Cash said. “And UConn girls have been reaching out to us, which is great, so hopefully they’ll venture down to Willimantic.”

Gabriella DeBenedictis is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at gabriella.debenedictis@uconn.edu.